Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 turbo blanket-

15K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
Did a search on here and didnt reeley find a good refrence of were to look so figure Ill throw out the question again- lookin for a turbo blanket set up. Anybody have one or tryed one and what s your thoughts with them?

#2 ·
I did find this one but its more of a do it yourself kinda thing-http://www.xtremediesel.com/thermotecturboinsulatingkit15002.aspx

#3 · (Edited)
Mind I ask the reason for wanting one? I think they're kind of a gimmick and I don't think there is truly any value... At least not enough to justify the purchase. Personally, I want the heat from my turbo to escape, rather be contained for minimal gain of energy exchange.

#4 ·
Well I want the heat to escape as well, but I want it to escape out the tail pipe after Ive used it and not just under the hood to heat up the motor.
But Im kinda sceptical about this myself so that why I ask if any bodys tryed one and what was their thoughts. I know race crews run these alot

#5 · (Edited)
Nature of the beast, diesels run hotter. There is plenty of heat around that turbo. Hell, it butts right up to your firewall which is wrapped in heat shield, which bounces off and hits your turbo. Which is why I said the gains would be minimal at best. They hold heat after you shutdown too. I'd just assume run without one and have less idle down time.

#8 ·
Im not looking for any "gains" per say. Im looking more into keeping temps down under the hood. You are right when you say there is plenty of heat around that turbo,and that the heat bounces off the heat sheild and hits your turbo so why not contain as much heat as possible and force it out the tail pipe instead of allowing it to float around and cook the engine? That poor little FICM is sweatin in there.

#7 ·
Youd think with as many 6.0's are out there someboby would make one.....HEY BULLET PROOF DIESEL ARE YOU LISTENING??????

#9 ·
A turbo is driven by heat. The more heat you can keep in the exhaust housing the quicker it will spool and less wasted energy. There will be no difference in cool down time.

#10 · (Edited)
Air and exhaust gasses create that heat. Of which, they're all internal. So again, what is wrapping your turbo going to do? If you want faster spool times, get more air and more fuel. I can't see them minimizing heat that much in the engine compartment. But, I know these are used on drag cars and heavy diesel applications. BUT, heavy diesels are open compartment and drag cars usually don't have an insulated engine bay - or the turbo receives too much air from air dams.

Here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Powers...Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f7390700&vxp=mtr

#11 ·
It has nothing to do with the heat in the engine bay. It is about keeping the heat contained in the turbo housing. Again heat is what drives the turbo. Simply put the blanket will be a benefit, maybe not much on a stock turbo but it will make a difference.

#15 ·
I understand that...To each their own though. The OP said he wanted to eliminate heat in the engine bay... Where does that heat come from? Exhaust gasses which are what? Internal. Boost pressure is from engine speed and load condition: Forced air...Your turbine won't run hot enough to gain any benefit on a stock turbo. Unless your laying your turbo into the ground. Just my opinion. I could see benefit on ballbearing turbos. But not VGT's.

#12 ·
Which do you think works better the little blankey for your turbo or ceramic coating?

#14 ·
I have seen good results from both but never any data to say one is better then the other.

#16 ·
i will mention this to gene and ken on monday when i go down there

#17 · (Edited)
you can have one custom made for the turbine of the factory turbo....Turbo Performance Products makes them http://crdpower.com/

#19 ·
really? so you want to cook your turbo from the inside out? Last I checked we still had ****ty brass bushings supporting the shaft that were already highly subject to coking.

News flash, diesels run on heat!!! why do you want to keep them cool? This isn't a gas engine where the cooler it runs the more efficient it is

maybe if I post up a pic of a 6.0 turbo with a melted turbine

#25 ·
Matt, I run Amsoil synthetic oil and I always let it cool down to 350* before shutting it down so I'm not worried about coking.

As for melting the turbine wheel I'm pretty sure that's why I run a Pyrometer on both banks and run a Water/Meth injection system. Cutting down excessive radiant heat from the turbo doesn't have anything to do with internal engine temp.

Show me a picture of a 6.0 turbo with a melted turbine wheel and I'll show you somebody who pays no attention to egt's.

#22 ·
I give up....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.