Going MAD with my new TuRbO - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going MAD with my new TuRbO

First off I would like to thank the Mad Man, Adrian for motivating me to do what I did. I was initially thinking of going down the non-VGT route and just about did when I started reading about the surging issue some members were having. However, I saw the success rate and figured I would build my own creation, a LLY compressor (63.5/88mm) from a donor GMC truck and mate it to a GT3782VA middle and turbine sections , AKA Stage 1.

The first step is to clock the backing plate if you want to use the stock pipes. You could fill the back hub and re-drill the holes, offset 30*, but you should keep a large area free so the oil can circulate to provide cooling. I decided to cut and weld. The first cut is always the hardest, and as soon as the cutter hit the metal, I knew I would have to change the set up a little. The cutter was chattering too much so I had to stabilize the mounting point for a narrow cut line.

The cut was still larger than I wanted, but you have to use the tools you have at hand!

I had a seal set that made what I thought was a perfect jig. It worked extremely well except for one thing, it allowed the heat of the weld to pull the center section about 3/4mm forward. So after grinding down the weld for wheel clearance, the compressor housing was just being lightly rubbed by the comp wheel. So what to do to raise the backing plate? I could weld it up, but then I would have to mill or turn it down after (too much work), build it up with epoxy (still have to reset the height) or shim it. I decided to shim the backing plate with some thin aluminum ( yes from an old shovel)! It was almost the correct thickness and only required a small amount of work to make it fit. I ended up epoxying it to the backing plate.

I kept all the parts stock so if I had to, I could go back without buying new old parts. I had to add a ring around the comp outlet to bring it up to 2.5". The intakes are different, so I fabricated a bellows (from a old intake tube) to attach to the outside of the original intake. To make it strong enough for the clamp, I used a 4"ring to slip inside of the tubing. With the slightly larger turbo and the 1/4" of bellows, the CCV tube needed to be shortened about 1" to fit.

As those of you that have changed a turbo in the vehicle know, it is a PITA to get to most of the bolts! I only lost the back bolt, with the socket attached to it twice. Once on removal - no big deal once the turbo was out, and once on installation - big deal, because I wanted to get my socket back! My $45 inspection camera and flexible stick magnet did a good job at finding the pieces wedged up against the up-pipe heat shields.

I also cleaned up the old turbine section and replaced the ring with the one from the donor turbo (actuator grove damage). My bearings were better, but the ring and vanes were better in the 3788. Unfortunately the vanes are about 2mm taller than those for the Ford. If you really had to, you could grind/sand them down.

I cranked the motor with the FICM fuse out to prime the oil to the turbo (about 30 seconds). Started it up to do a leak-check and then went for a test drive. It sure sounds different, but due to the weather (snowing) I couldn't do a qualitative test. As well, I think the tune I am using is limiting the boost to 23 psi. It gets to 22.9 then reads 0, then 22something, then 0. It was doing it before the swap-out as well. It doesn't stumble like a boost leak and seems to keep pulling. I noticed it when I hooked up my monitor a few month ago. Checked all the boots, but did not pressurize the CAC system. I will probably do that this spring.

BTW, no surging!

Last edited by twoicebergs; 01-30-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: 63.5mm & clocking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Epoxyed your turbo? Is your name Matt from soot? Lmfao

Good job on the mod, the epoxy thing was kinda funny to me, long story lol
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's awesome man. looks GREAT.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

cool , i might try that or something similar as i have a buddt who has tons of core diesel motors
Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAWG714 View Post
Epoxyed your turbo? Is your name Matt from soot? Lmfao

Good job on the mod, the epoxy thing was kinda funny to me, long story lol
All I used the epoxy for was a gasket-like connection, since I would have had 2 sides to seal for oil. I could have also used a liquid gasket equally as well, but I wanted something that would harden up.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
cool , i might try that or something similar as i have a buddt who has tons of core diesel motors
If you have access to a good lathe or CNC, the easiest way to do this is to just cut the GT3782 (Ford) backing plate center from 82.7mm to 89mm and radius/cut the housing to 1mm greater than the wheel width and height. Clocking the backing plate was a PITA. The tolerance is quite tight. I was surprised how much gas I used to TIG it. I probably could have had just as good a result with a MIG and used the TIG to make it look pretty, not that anyone would see it. Some of the newer compressor housings allow for infinite clocking positions, but I don't know if they would mate to the CHRA or turbine, or if the wheel would fit on the spindle.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 01-30-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i made my own lly stage 1` to but i did it a different way that didnt invole welding. but it doesnt look as nice as that. but works all the same. i was even think about using the whole duramax center section and running coolent lines.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
i made my own lly stage 1` to but i did it a different way that didnt invole welding. but it doesnt look as nice as that. but works all the same. i was even think about using the whole duramax center section and running coolent lines.
Out of curiosity, what did you do to it to make it fit?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you do to it to make it fit?
what I used was the stock ford backing plate took it to the machine shop with the lly wheel. Machinist made the wheel fit. Than I fasten the the duramax cover to ford back plate. Also my turbo was an 03 at the time so I guess I made a powermax. But I have since changed the turbine wheel to 13 blade. And would never go back
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 AM

This is awesome, amazing what a guy can do with a hole saw, an old shovel, and some epoxy. Way to go man, I hope it runs good for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.