Installed new MTW Hybrid, but I think I have a boost leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed new MTW Hybrid, but I think I have a boost leak?

First off, this is in no way a knock/complaint about the turbo itself. I'm very excited to have gotten one and gotten it installed, but I'm pretty sure I have a boost leak somewhere that's not allowing it to perform properly.

I had my new Hybrid installed by my local shop on Saturday, along with new Riff Raff intercooler boots, updated turbo lines, blue spring, and banjo bolts. I had forgotten my SCT at home so I wasn't able to load a tune for that specific turbo until I got home - it was about a 30 min drive so I wasn't worried too much about numbers.

So I finally got a tune loaded on there written specifically for the turbo and hopped in and tried it out. I start getting on the highway, not stomping on it, and look at my CTS and see that my EGTs are at almost 1100 and I only have 11 psi of boost so I back off. While cruising down the highway on relatively flat ground at about 65 my EGTs were between 750-900 and my boost stayed around 2. The tuner thought the tune might be corrupted so I get a new one - same problem. So I load up a tune written by someone else for my set up and get the same things - over 1100 EGTs and no more than 9 psi boost before I let up and it cruises at 7-800 degrees with 2-3 psi of boost.

From what I've looked up this is a leaky/cracked CAC boot I think? I'm hoping that its just something isn't sealed since the boots are brand new.

Anyone have any other ideas?

PS, sorry for the wall of text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

You should hear any kind of boost or exhaust leak. Do you hear anything?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Emergency Services

I can hear something, but it doesn't sound like the typical tea kettle whistle that I've heard describes a leak...or is that only for an exhaust leak and not a cac boot leak?

I've got duty tonight at the fire station after work so I'll grab one of the guys and see if they can help me pinpoint anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Serving Our Country!

In my experience a boost leak sounds like a whooshing sound that is intermittent with your boost level and an exhaust leak will be a constant dull tea kettle whistle. Unless you are pushing the RPMs it doesn't really get high pitched, but that could have just been just due to the size of the leak too.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Emergency Services

Alright, I'll have to listen for that tonight, as well as spray some soapy water on the boots to see if they're leaking somewhere. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think it may be in your tunes. The vgt vanes need to stay closed longer and open up later with that turbo than it seems like it is doing from the numbers you are posting.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Emergency Services

With one of the tunes I don't even hear the whistle of the turbo at start up or idle; its like it doesn't even kick in until I hit about 600 degrees. The other tune has the whistle at start up and idle, and kicks in at around 400 degrees. When I'm just cruising at about 55 down a very flat main road and not working the truck, I'm at about 7-800 and 2psi of boost.

I've emailed one of the tuners about it already, and got a new file, but that obviously didn't change anything. I figured it must be a boost leak; should I email them both again and ask about the cycling of the vanes?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Who is writing your tunes?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Emergency Services

I've got a Looney and Tony Wildmans X. I've been running the Looney since probably May-ish and love it and just recently had it updated for this turbo. I also just recently got Tony's after hearing about his tunes.

Don't get me wrong, they both seem like fantastic tunes from what I've gotten to experience so far. They're just not performing like they should be, and I'm sure its probably just due to a boost leak or something since I just had all 4 new boots installed.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Is the Looney the one causing the most trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.