Turbo upgrade for 190/75 Injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo upgrade for 190/75 Injectors

So recently my stock injectors went bad and I ordered up a set of 190/75 Injectors from warrens. I've got studs, intake, exhaust, fuel pump, etc, but at the moment the turbo is still stock.

I figure, what better a time to swap it out than when the I change out the injectors. My question is, what turbo to buy? I want to stick with VGT type turbos and not too expensive. My thought was to go with either the RCD 68mm modded powermax or the MTW Stage 2 unit.

I am leaning towards the MTW Stage 2, but my question is: Is this the correct size turbo for my application? The stage 3 is $1000 more and I don't want to not be able to tow.

I need to be able to tow reasonable weights (~10,000Lbs) with a tow tune, occasionally. And this is a daily driver so I need reliability.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
190's really need the stage 3 to clean them up in order to get the most power AND be able to tow easily

A stage 2 is best matched with 175's but will "work" with your setup... might be a bit smokey though. I'm sure you could make a custom tune to tow with your setup.
But, what I'm trying to say is with a stage 3, you would be better off
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is a tough a question as there is a large gap in price between a Stage 2 and Stage 3 and there is also quite a bit of difference in performance potential between the turbos. I think that in order to be able to fully use a turbo's performance potential and even still have some left over, you're going to want the Stage 3. Your injectors will tap a stage 2 out real quick. The key though to running either turbo successfully is going to be in the tuning. I would say that if you decide to go with the Stage 3, then I would HIGHLY recommend a live tune so a performance tune and a towing tune can be written for you. The challenge to running the Stage 3 is going to be getting it to spool quick enough with a load attached to keep EGTs down. I have no doubts that once it is lit off you'll be able to keep EGTs down around 1300F no problem and no smoke. Conversely with the Stage 2, you will definitely flow more air easily down low than the Stage 3 will and it will spool a little quicker but you will be out of air at around low to mid 30s for boost.

If it were me, I would go with the Stage 3. I have ran both with 190/100s and I think the Stage 3 can be tuned tow with just fine. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree that you should strongly consider a Stage3 with those injectors. I will be running a Stage4 with 200/75's which aren't much bigger.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reccomendations. So you think that the stage 3 would be BETTER for towing? I was under the impression that the opposite was true.

Also, I'd prefer the SCT tunes. Do you think it will be OK using those, as long as I get some custom ones made for each application (i.e. street, track, tow, etc)?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

IMO the stage 3 will be Better for towing... reason is, the stage 2 might not have enough air to clean up that fuel and will end up running hot.

SCT tunes are the Best!!
That is what we all run and getting custom tunes or even lived tuned is best with the SCT
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK so the consensus is to go Stage 3, but MTW says on their web site that a better transmission is required for stage 3. Do you really think that is required? I'd rather not fix it 'till its broke. Any experience using the stock trans?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

Windrunner (Nate) has been pushing his truck to the limit with stage 3's, larger injectors, and all that jazz for about what.. 6 months now.. He's looking into a built tranny but has not "needed" one yet I believe. That makes me think he is nice to his truck... Me, well I don't think my tranny would last a week with a stage 3:rof:

It could barely hold on while I had stock parts let alone now it cries daily with my minor upgrades
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Turbo upgrade for 190/75 Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by emscatton View Post
OK so the consensus is to go Stage 3, but MTW says on their web site that a better transmission is required for stage 3. Do you really think that is required? I'd rather not fix it 'till its broke. Any experience using the stock trans?
Imo, if you cant afford the tranny dont add the power. Unless financially capable of affording the $4-6k trans after spending money on the power parts.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm almost in the same ball park, running the modded Stage 1 with 175 /75's and it's still smokey. Could be the reason I can't build 20's + Boost but in the low teen's it's visible in the rear view mirror.

So I'm contemplating either a Stage 2 which the Mad Man is against or a Stage 3 which the Mad Man warns with my attitude i'll eat my tranny or a Meth Kit to provide the cooling and additional power i'm seeking.

I'm stuck with an 05 that fights me tooth n nail and refuses to run at it's limits.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.