Trans learning php ficm tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trans learning php ficm tune

Anybody else have their trans flare after loading any ficm tune? I loaded atlas 40. Its the only tune I have loaded currently, put it in before a 225mile trip yesterday and it was a little grumpy getting thru 2-3 and 3-5 the first few times before getting on the freeway. Nothing out of the ordinary just a good flare. It got better by the end of the trip and this morning also on my drive into reno it was half as much on 3-5shift. Just looking for some feedback from others experiences. I think it can work itself out the more city driving I do.

Wondering if my trans strategy isnt conducive to being tuned without trans being tuned as well. My original trans failed after loaded hercules w/spd, it lasted a couple weeks but it seemed like the added power put it over the top. Got damn good mileage tho thru the hills averaged 18.7 on 14ish gallons at 73-75mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't recall mine being any worse with the Altas 40. I'm running the 80 now and I'll try to pay more attention to the shifting for you.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM

Re: Trans learning php ficm tune

Thanks. Are you running a custom tune with it also? Im sure if I uploaded a tune it would firm up the shifts but dont have a tune written for the stock dd solenoid. Need to order one soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Got ya...I'm running the SPD tune with GOGO solenoid.

I'd say if you recently removed the SCT tuning and left the FICM tune in you were experiencing the relearn procedure of these trucks. It's been a LONG time since I ran a factory PCM and recall it being VERY sloppy. Hard to run anything but custom tuning once you use them.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is possible for the shift flare to happen as a result of a few things. The first thing that comes to mind is a weak transmission may not be suited to the additional power on the stock trans code. As Heavy Assault mentioned, once you have experienced the superior shifting of custom files, the stock files do not seem quite as nice.

The best thing I can recommend with the amount of information that I know is to add your ECM tune w/ trans shift points to assist in compinsating for the additional power

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or Call PHP and as for Jay
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM

DoubleDpsd, my truck does the same thing. Every time I've changed FICM tunes the trans flares for a while. But after a couple days driving around it stops flaring. I have ran atlas 80 and Hercules on the Looney Wild track file. Kinda weird but my truck feels stronger bottom end (aka will spin longer) on the atlas 80 than Hercules. But the Hercules feels stronger running down the road.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM

interesting I wouldn't expect any trans input /changes with a FICM tune
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM

I've experienced it for the first few miles of any Viv's tunes and i have Eric's FICM and Viv's Looney.

I just take it easy and am prepared and catch it quick.

I've also experienced the reverse chatter so i know i'm due a DD Sol. one day.

D
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Re: Trans learning php ficm tune

Thanks for chiming in guys. Should have mentioned I got a brand new reman 5r maybe 650miles old. It appears it has solved itself as the shifts are firm now in town. I guess it has to do with the adaptive learning. Still need a custom tune tho to really firm it up. Good to know im not the only one dealing with the issue after loading an ficm tune.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah the torqshifts need to learn their shifts. The 6R in the newer super duties is really touchy at first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.