DIY blue Spring Mod....... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY blue Spring Mod.......

So I had a 2003 6.0L years ago I did this to.....but now I have a 2004 6.0L.

Heres what I did....instead of buying the blue spring mod for the rise in fuel PSI, I put shims(washers) between the case and the spring to add tension to the spring so it would push up the fuel PSI up, BUT I never measured the fuel PSI to see if it fully worked. I could feel better response though will accelerating.

So my question is.....I have a 2004 now(and I'll still as cheap), and just curious if anybody else has done what I did with my 2003 6.0L. I want my fuel PSI in my 2004 to be up to adequate PSI also. But not really wanting to spend 60 bucks......

So please respond if you have and got good results? Or heard if somebody has and got good results? I am alittle more cautious in my older age(26), and don't want to damage anything.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

I stretched my spring so it would measure 33mm at rest (30mm stock). The pressure went up 5 psi from 54 to 59-60 psi. Under WOT the pressure is 48 psi vs 45 stock for me. The only reason I gave it a try was the blue spring I got was a reject that was too short and it was too late to get a replacement. I don't know how that got through quality control! You can definitely feel the difference in spring rate from stock to the blue spring.

Don't bother with small shims or BBs, it will just be minimally better and a pain to install. The blue spring gave me 73 psi and mid 60s WOT.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the advice!! Nice to see what the PSI is at with the ''streched version'' compared to the Blue Spring.

I would of compared stock to the shimmed if I had the gauge.

Thanks Again!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i think that you are a very brave man. If i were you i would pay the 40 from tousley ford it does not include the pot metal cap but that does not wear down anyway it also includes all gaskets and o rings for the fuel filter housing here is the link http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...&siteid=214771

Last edited by sprksonu; 01-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprksonu View Post
i think that you are a very brave man. If i were you i would pay the 36$ from riff raff it does not include the pot metal cap but that does not wear down anyway here is the link tousley parts depot has the kit as well Riffraff Diesel: Ford Fuel Pressure Regulator Blue Spring Kit (Out of Stock)
Yeah I was pretty brave back then, I'm more cautious now, hence me asking. didn't know riff raff had it for that cheap. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did the BB mod, similar to using washers for shims. Place a .117 BB between the spring and regulator cover. It gave me a nice 9 psi boost and cost less than one penny.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DIY blue Spring Mod.......

Same here, BB mod. Whether you do the blue spring, BB, or DIY mod, still no excuse not to have a FP gauge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Yep, I didn't do anything until I had a FP gauge installed. I wouldn't even do the blue spring without one.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM

The BB mod? What sizes did everybody else use? One guy used .117? Is that what you guys used?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM

That's what fits. It is almost the same diameter of the spring and fits in the cup on the cover nicely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.