how bulletproof is it ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how bulletproof is it ?

How hard are you guys beating on your studded 6.0l . I just had the truck studded and all the udates and i like to drive it on the hard side . I made sure it was done right the first time , but i dont want to beat on it to hard if it will pop gaskets again . So what do yall think , how long will the arps last with me driving it the way i do . How long would they last in a stock truck with custom tunes compared to a 575 hp 6.0l ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think this is going to be a good post^... I can speak for my truck with head bolts! 170k and has had a tune on it since 100k(srl tune)... No issues and check frequently for leaking headgaskets... Anyways with that being said i would hope and think that the studs should NEVER fail with a custom tune provided the work was done correctly. I would think that with studs- 550 hp etc should not stress them at all period.. I am doing studs, turbo, and bigger injects after the weather breaks- i guess I will see then how well the studs do with my horsepower creeping in the mid 500's against the headbolt configuration... I hope to get another 170 k out of it before replacing the engine etc etc.. wishful thinking probably but at any rate....

Last edited by 04cr450; 01-27-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 AM

how bulletproof is it ?

just did studs in my truck with 110000 miles. powermax turbo and custom tunes. hopefully they hold up cause i beat the **** outa my truck lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM

That depends. What all did you do to your truck when it was getting the studs done? were the heads machined? oil cooler changed? coolant flush with ELC and coolant filter? What type of egr system do you have for it?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My truck has been running at or over 500 rwhp since it was studded in 2008.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM

I dont beat my truck. But Im not afraid to ask it to do what is was built and purchased for. I have done what I could do to make the truck as strong as possible. But more than likely Ill fail somewere and break something on the truck from stupidity or not seeing it before it got too bad.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Premium Member

how bulletproof is it ?

It's more than just studding the truck. There are plenty of guys on here that blew head gaskets after studs. If your egr cooler oil cooler are still in place w/I a coolant filter etc the oil cooler can still lead to problems down the road. If u truly wanna beat the tar out of it make sure you do all the necessary mods not just studs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM

aprox 30k on Black onyx gaskets @ aprox 500rwhp. Machined heads, new oil cooler. I beat on her good and she pulls a trailer everyday.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Well I have done everything that could be done to an 06 6.0 l to make it reliable , now I want to enjoy it ,buy enjoy I mean the odd race and I often have egts up to 1350 and boost at 31 . I don't want to spend that kinda money again . I think the torque converter might be on its way out but other than that it runs great . I am worried about the high egts and the possibility of cracking the heads
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
aprox 30k on Black onyx gaskets @ aprox 500rwhp. Machined heads, new oil cooler. I beat on her good and she pulls a trailer everyday.
Just wondering if u are nervous about the Black onyx gaskets . It seems I am always reading threads about how they blow . Yours seem to have lasted for u so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.