Economy Tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Economy Tuner

Looking to get an economy tuner for my 04 F-350. I deleted the EGR cooler (but left the EGR in to avoid engine codes), my cat is deleted and so's the muffler. I'm getting 17mpg now with the hubs locked in and have had over 18mpg with them unlocked. I'd like to get over 20 with the truck since it's now my work ride (500 miles a week). I'm hoping to get something quality and inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are going to tune it, FIRST get a monitor (Edge CTS Insight, Scangauge, Dashboss) which you should already have if you are a 6.0 owner. They go hand in hand. If you have passed that step, then you should know that custom tunes are the way to go for these trucks. A higher HP tune usually will yield the best economy if you can keep your foot out of it. It's so tempting not to though when you can spank muscle cars Hopefully that helps. To recap, Monitor (with EGT of course), then custom tunes via SRL Gearhead, Loony Vivian, Xtreme Street Innovative, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

As stated above, a monitor and custom tunes will be the best way to go. Although, you should never EXPECT mileage gains out of a tune. Most people who expect huge gains for mileage are disappointed. An increase of 1-2mpg is usually what people see if they stick with their normal driving habits. Most people are not able to do this however, because of the added power they feel they must use.

The way I like to tell people to look at it is like this... You should see about the same mileage with A LOT more power.

As far as what monitor and tunes to get... We offer a couple different SCT options, but the unit I would recommend is our Infinity. It is one unit that will do it all. It tunes, monitors PID's(generic and Ford enhanced), reads/clears DTC's, datalogs, plays media, has user controllable high/low alarms, and much more. Check out all of it's benefits HERE.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to help you out.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
As stated above, a monitor and custom tunes will be the best way to go. Although, you should never EXPECT mileage gains out of a tune. Most people who expect huge gains for mileage are disappointed. An increase of 1-2mpg is usually what people see if they stick with their normal driving habits. Most people are not able to do this however, because of the added power they feel they must use.

The way I like to tell people to look at it is like this... You should see about the same mileage with A LOT more power.

As far as what monitor and tunes to get... We offer a couple different SCT options, but the unit I would recommend is our Infinity. It is one unit that will do it all. It tunes, monitors PID's(generic and Ford enhanced), reads/clears DTC's, datalogs, plays media, has user controllable high/low alarms, and much more. Check out all of it's benefits HERE.

Is the infinity using custom tuning software? Are we shoehorned into DP tuning? It does seem like a good deal for a monitor/tuner in one. Is this a brand new release, never heard of it before the two posts you just posted?

Does the unit have the capability to tune the transmission too? Save the stock file just in case?

Todd
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Economy Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
Is the infinity using custom tuning software? Are we shoehorned into DP tuning? It does seem like a good deal for a monitor/tuner in one. Is this a brand new release, never heard of it before the two posts you just posted?

Does the unit have the capability to tune the transmission too? Save the stock file just in case?

Todd
It does almost everything, ae, tuner, monitor in one. And from what Ive read you're only able to load dp tunes on it....for now? Jetjock gave a great review for dp's tunes.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Economy Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post

Justin, we know the cost of just the Infinity, but when you start adding in EGT and Fuel psi, what is that cost. I've been on the DP website and it isn't clear what Dashdaq collection device is needed or what EGT probe and fuel psi sensor that is used.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Last edited by Lilpooh; 01-28-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Justin, we know the cost of just the Xfinity, but when you start adding in EGT and Fuel psi, what is that cost. I've been on the DP website and it isn't clear what Dashdaq collection device is needed or what EGT probe and fuel psi sensor that is used.

I think the EGT add on was 125 on their site. Not sure on FP.

Todd
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would strongly suggest looking at the SCT Livewire TS.!

It is a monitor AND a tuner in one unit. IMO it beats everything else by far now

Get some custom tunes on that baby and that is all you need
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

Todd
We are the only ones licensed by Drew Tech to put tunes on the Infinity as of right now. This may change in the future though, and we may be able to put other peoples tunes on our device also.

Yes, the unit/our tunes will tune the transmission too. And yes, the stock file will be saved.

Our unit uses an external SD memory card unlike most other manufacturers products. This enables all of the information to be stored on a removable device, such as datalogs, tunes, and custom themes. The supplied SD card has enough memory to hold around 1 million tunes. This number decreases if you have a lot of datalogs and other saved information on the card.

The unit was only released in October, so yes it is still new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDpsd View Post
It does almost everything, ae, tuner, monitor in one. And from what Ive read you're only able to load dp tunes on it....for now? Jetjock gave a great review for dp's tunes.
That is correct. As of right now, we are the only ones able to put tunes on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Justin, we know the cost of just the Xfinity, but when you start adding in EGT and Fuel psi, what is that cost. I've been on the DP website and it isn't clear what Dashdaq collection device is needed or what EGT probe and fuel psi sensor that is used.

You can see the cost of all of the optional add-ons by clicking on the drop down boxes. It is hard to give you an accurate price because there are a lot of different options. You can PM me for a personalized quote.

Also, we have not added the optional fuel pressure sensor and wiring on the website yet because we are still in the process of receiving all of them. The EGT is available right now though.

Quote:
I think the EGT add on was 125 on their site. Not sure on FP.

Todd
That is correct.

Last edited by Justin@DP-Tuner; 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
I would strongly suggest looking at the SCT Livewire TS.!

It is a monitor AND a tuner in one unit. IMO it beats everything else by far now

Get some custom tunes on that baby and that is all you need
That is incorrect. While it has some good features, it is limited to what it can do. It does not have the ability to monitor enhanced Ford PID's, and it will only hold up to 10 custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.