Do It Yourself Oil Cooler! Assistance Needed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do It Yourself Oil Cooler! Assistance Needed!

howdy strokers so last night I had my EOT reach 243 and ECT at 198 so its obvious my oil cooler is clogged but BPD is not in my budget at this time a buddy of mine says he can make one...I dont really care as long as it works if there is anyone out there who has done this your assistance would be greatly appreciated please let me know of the process and parts

thank ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I've read the reason it is so expensive is because it's worth it. Lots of testing went into it. It's not something you can just make easily. Without the right set up you'll get too much of a pressure drop across the cooler.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm going to tell you right now that it is VERY unlikely that your buddy will be able to build a system that performs as good as the BPD system for less than what they charge. I have done THREE iterations of my oil cooling system and it STILL doesn't perform as good as BPD's kit does (It is VERY close but has a slightly higher pressure drop across it than their kit does. Either way though it is setup for my motor and works just fine.) and I use their parts too. The problem with what your buddy is trying to tell you is that I HIGHLY doubt you'll be able to build one that is able to have the same pressure drop across it as the BPD kit does. Has he thought about this?? You NEED to make sure you only have (at about 3500 rpms) a 22-24psi pressure drop. To measure this you'll need gauges. You wouldn't need them installed permanently but you'd need them to check everything with. There is WAY more to this than simply getting a B&M tranny cooler with a fan on it and using it to cool your oil. I would say that, while I COMPLETELY understand you not wanting to do your oil cooler again after this, but you really shouldn't go cheap here. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
anyone who thinks they can make a 6.0 oil cooler is going to be sadly mistaken when they find out it's self contained in the block
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Put a stock oil cooler back in if you can't do a BPD. You can do that for under $300. No way you are going to build a decent remote oil cooler for less that the BPD. People that have tried have ended up saying they should have just bought the BPD.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Put a stock oil cooler back in if you can't do a BPD. You can do that for under $300. No way you are going to build a decent remote oil cooler for less that the BPD. People that have tried have ended up saying they should have just bought the BPD.
this is the best option for you. if it was so easy to build we would all build one... most of us craft things for our trucks every week but we dont craft oil coolers. if it was easy to make another company would sell the product.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

I'll go ahead and throw this out there for discussion sake. The only other option that I see as possibly being viable is this one here.
Remote Oil Cooler System for 6.0L PowerStroke by Performance Machine & MFG.

I don't believe it is as good as BPDs and I'm not sure how it has been out or if it is actually still waiting to be released since they say they are not available. Either way, the cooler in this kit is very similar to the one BPD use to use in their bumper mounted kits (not sure about the cooler on the condenser ones), the only thing that I can see as "possibly" being an issue is that the inlet and outlets on this cooler are not stagered and (according to Ken at BPD) this design will trap air in the cooler that could screw things up. I would like to hear more about this but it is the best I got.

Again as everyone already said, for less than $300 the OEM cooler is the way to go for lowest price. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just looking at that Nate, I wouldn't go with that any more than I'd use the IPR remote mount.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

I'm with you on that too Mitch. I just threw it out there so maybe PMM and/or BPD would chime in about this kit so we could hear more about it (good or bad).
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You couldn't pay me to run a single part with the PMM name on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.