2nd EGR repair... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2nd EGR repair...

Just blew my second EGR yesterday on my '04 6.0, the first went about 20k miles ago, of course now I'm over 100k miles and out of warranty.
Dealership is telling me that ford recommends on the 2nd repair of the EGR to also replace the oil cooler, an extra $900
Is the replacement of the oil cooler necessary? or can I get by by just replacing the EGR again, please advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Jon

egr

Did you meen egr cooler? Yes we replace the egr cooler and the oil cooler at the same time. 9 times out of 10 the oil cooler is what makes the egr cooler go out.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketech View Post
Did you meen egr cooler? Yes we replace the egr cooler and the oil cooler at the same time. 9 times out of 10 the oil cooler is what makes the egr cooler go out.
How are the two coolers related by failure?
Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I posted this in another thread, but the coolant feeds both the oil cooler and EGR cooler. While I'm not convinced that the oil cooler causes 90% of EGR cooler failures, Jon's a PSD tech and has seen a BUNCH of these things.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Could you just do the EGR delete and never have to worry about it again? Just an idea.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Jon

egr

Ive heard it both ways and cant get a straight answer. I have heard the oil cooler gets a restriction and cuts water to the egr cooler and that melts the egr cooler which makes sense to me and i've heard that the egr cooler gets hot and takes the oil cooler out, either way its a problem. I lean to the egr cooler taking the oil cooler out.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR delete?

what exactly is the EGR delete? is that the mod that I read on another thread here? I wouldn't know where to start. This all happened when I was pulling about 12k of trailer and tow mode downshift kicked in, boom! white smoke everywhere, second time in 20k miles the first time they didn't replace the oil cooler.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 AM

My 04 is going in on Tue. for the egr cooler replacement. Its been leaking for a few weeks now, but the dealership never said anything about the oil cooler. Should I ask them to check the oil cooler too while they have everything apart?
Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
what exactly is the EGR delete? is that the mod that I read on another thread here? I wouldn't know where to start. This all happened when I was pulling about 12k of trailer and tow mode downshift kicked in, boom! white smoke everywhere, second time in 20k miles the first time they didn't replace the oil cooler.
EGR delete is where you unplug your EGR valve or have it added to your SCT custom tunes. It will keep your EGR valve closed and prevent common problems associated with the EGR, but won't prevent the EGR cooler problems, like coolant puking and worse - hydro-locking your engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
My 04 is going in on Tue. for the egr cooler replacement. Its been leaking for a few weeks now, but the dealership never said anything about the oil cooler. Should I ask them to check the oil cooler too while they have everything apart?
Absolutely!!! It's more difficult to determine if the oil cooler is bad, unless you have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil, but Jon (or one of the other techs) might be able to give some pointers.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the oil cooler is bad you'll have high engine oil temps. The engine oil temp shouldn't be more than 20* over the engine coolant temp. The truck can be hooked up to IDS which can read both temps and make a determination. Also, the oil cooler gets stopped up with casting sand from the inside of the engine block. Adding a coolant filter can help this immensly. You'd be amazed at what comes out of the coolant filter after about 500 or 1000 miles, even on older trucks that have already had the coolant changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.