ATS turbo mod. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATS turbo mod.

Hi guys,

I know this may seem strange, but.. yes there are a few powerstrokes out here in Switzerland. A couple of friends run a stock '03 6.0 PSD and a stock ''01 7.3 PSD.
Mine is an '04 6.0 with ATS turbo, AFE intake, Banks alluminium intercooler and banks exhaust. The mods were a consequence of turbo problems: Blew 3 intercoolers with the stock turbo. Read about the problems and solved them step by step with the mods listed.
I purpously avoided any engine tuning mods. Runs really well, but have to deal with slight increase in turbo lag when pulling away from a light or a hill, specially with a loaded trailer. Otherwise, as soon as the turbo spools up the engine develops plenty of power and runs superb!
I use the truck for towing and reliability is my highest priority.
Checked out diesel tuners, each one comes up with promises to solve turbo lag matters, but what long term side effects are to be expected?
Tuners offer special progremmers also to be used for towing. Has anyone had experiences with such mods so far?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Just wanted to say Nice to have PSD enthusiasts from other parts of the world!!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! .. By the way: anybody familiar with a socalled "re-flash"?
A friend of mine just had his '03 6.0 PSD in for a service ata local ford dealer who apparently changed the base program with another one. The truck is stock and just had a new OEM turbo put in. So far it runs good, except for idle problems and it keeps setting the engine control lamp. The dealer said that his Ford OBD interface had a number of programmes for the re-flash to chose from. Any ideas which one may be the best?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the latest "re-flash" is the best one for the 6.0, I think.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Right, I also thought that the latest re-flash is the best. The problem is identifying it with the right number :-) That's where we're stuck. The factory OBD has a list of possible re-flashes, but ..according to the dealer.. they seem not to be flagged with a date, only with numbers. Any clues?..
Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Let me send this thread to Eric at Innovative Diesel for 2 reasons..he can give you the latest strategy numbers and his towing tunes are excellent for daily use!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Delaware King Ranch! Look forward hearing what Eric may have as a solution.. Appreciate the help.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Sure thing....if he gets a chance, he should pop in here...if not, I'll see what he says and I'll post it up.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There are a lot of reflashes for each model year truck. The reflash is dependent on the base strategy or processor code your truck was manufactured with and how up to date your dealer's software is.

Most of the latest reflashes are updates targeted for specific issues. Some examples are to help with cold starts by updating the FICM, eliminate the Exhaust BackPressure Sensor in PCM, and update the transmisson logic in the TCM for better control over anticipated shifting. Through the years there have been a lot of reflashes.

The EBP/MAP reflash is the one you are speaking of. It's used to eliminate some of the issues with corroded EBP sensors which cause wierd issues with the turbo. Most common was overspinning the turbo causing damage to the bearings and sometimes catastrophic failure of the turbo itself.

The best way to get the strategy is either by reading it with a programming device, like the SCT. In some cases the dealer may provide the info in the paperwork, but not likely. With the early reflashes in 2003 and 2004 the dealer would print a sticker and apply it to the radiator shroud under the hood.

With custom tuning we have complete control over the turbo. It will definitely help with spool up, especially when towing.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok great!

2 questions then:
- Before going into custom tuning, am I right to assume that the base program needs to be sorted out first (with one of the latest reflashes), since custom tuning programmes write a step above that? Or can you overwrite these issues with custom tuning?
- What type of custom tuning would you suggest/advise for towing? I'm interested in purchasing a package. Can I use the same on the problematic stock '03 and on my good ATS turbocharged '04, or do these custom tuning programmes need to be different for both these 6.0s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.