Compressed natural gas on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compressed natural gas on a 6.0

I work for a farmer here in Ohio that is now running c n g on his semis and is building a plant that will produce c n g for hog crap he is claiming it will cut his fuel exspenses by a 1/3 and add 100 horse to the motor he then said what do you think about putting it on your truck sounds great but I needed to get some more info from you smarter people first my truck is bulletproofed and all that so would you think I would cause more harm than good yo do this for him it runs all day and mixes with his diesel so its not being shot in like nos idk any ideas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a gas drilling company is using it on their trucks 6.4's and 6L's. i guess it really works well from what i hear.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Its the way of the future. We now have so much Natural Gas in this country that we are running out of places to store it. My last 3 work trucks were all CNG trucks and besides a very small drop in horse power their is no diffrence.I now have a 2012 f250 with 4800 miles on it and have filled the gas tank 2 times. The CNG tank runs me for 2 days up in the hills and cost about 7-8 bucks to fill. I dont know why the big 4 auto companies arent pushing this more. Im sure it all comes down to money somewere....
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM

I wanted to put it on my 6.0 since we have natural gas running to my house but the compressor to fill the tanks is expensive. And there are no fill stations within 50 miles of my house. So it would take years for me to recoup the setup costs.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Ya sadly you reeley need this set up on like a new truck to get your money back. Ive heard anywere from 8-12k for the set up's
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Very effective kits can be had for ~$1800. Labor cost for install varies.. The tank is the most expensive part.

My tank is a 24.5GGE (21.6 DGE) Quantum 21"x60" Type 4 (~200lbs empty), expires 1/2033.. and was $4500 shipped.

I paid $700 labor to have everything installed.

My total outlay was $7000. With a 13.5GGE Type 1 (~500lbs) tank.. your cost for the tank could be $1500; lower if you find a used one with only a few years before expiration.

I am still messing with the % CNG. I will post some results once I get more data. There is a 3600psi, public CNG station 3/4 of a mile from my home.. @ $0.90/GGE so.. it made sense for me. I did this to a "bullet-proofed" 2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.