2004 6.0 no longer will take tunes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2004 6.0 no longer will take tunes?

Alright guys I have a situation for you that I can't seem to figure out. Might be a long read but I'd appreciate any help you have for me.

A little back ground first. I bought an SCT 3015 June 15, 2012 for my truck and decided to run the canned tunes until I studded the truck. 223k running stock bolts, egr delete, coolant filter, coolant flush, new oil cooler, blue spring, updated turbo feed line etc. Mostly simple thigns to make it more reliable. I ran the canned performance tune for around 6 months with no problem. About a month ago I was driving the truck to my parents house going up a small 4% grade hill on the highway and all hell broke loose. I lost power, ficm voltages dropped to 20, i was blowing tons of white and black smoke and my EOT was reading -40. I was only a few miles from my uncles shop so I limped it over there thinking my FICM had gone bad seeing as it was reading anywhere from 20 to 48 I thought that was the problem. Also, when i went to turn th truck on the buzz cycle was almost a minute long. At this point I figured what the hell and we took it apart and and studded it since I had collected most of the parts anyhow and it would take a week or so for the FICM to get back from FICMrepair.com

2 weeks go by, we get the truck back together, install the newly fixed FICM and turn the key try and start the truck. Once again we notice the 1 minute buzz cycle and the ficm voltages are 34 and the EOT reads -40. I'm thinking WTF!?!?! the ficm is still bad. But for grins we grab the SCT tuner, load the stock tune and instantly the ficm reads 48, the EOT reads 62 and the buzz cycle was normal. Start the truck up after some long cranks and it runs fine.

I contact SCT and they send me a few test files with the same results, Long buzz cycle, 30-40 ficm voltage and -40 EOT. They have told me I have a bad FICM, but it runs fine on the stock tune. Is it possible that the SCT tunes F'ed up my computer?

I'm at a loss here. Can anyone chime in? Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm very ancy to load a tune and see how the hybrid and 175/stocks do on my truck.

(build thread on truck once this issue is resolved!)

Last edited by william_ace; 01-16-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i can help answer questions also. review needed to haha!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

1. When was the last time you updated your SCT firmware?
2. Possibility of your particular programmer being corrupt (hence the possible need for the firmware update)?

If it's running fine on stock tuning and everything is acting right, it sounds like it may be something with the actual programmer. I was having issues with some of my tunes/stock programming and I took my truck to the dealer and put it on IDS for some troubleshooting. It wouldn't act up unless I had a tune on it but I got some valuable info from them, but my symptoms are way different than yours.

My point is, if you can, leave it stock and send it to the dealer for IDS troubleshooting.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the reply Coastie. I could drive it stock all day long so I would have no problems taking it somewhere to get diagnosed. What symptoms was your truck having and what was the fix?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

I had the exact same problems when I shorted out my ECM. The ECM locked it self in a default mode and wouldn't let the ECM except any tunes. I was told a reflash could have unlocked it, but I decided to get a new ECM instead. Once I installed the new computer I haven't had any problems since, I would do the same for your truck, even tho you didn't short out the ECM, it may have just broken(loss a circuit in it) and now is in the default mode. Hope that helps, also I got mine off of eBay for about 200.00.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Well, after talking with Adrian some I believe I have the same problem he did which is a faulty ECU. DPU-252. I found a few on ebay but they all appear to be just pulled out of wrecked or salvaged trucks. Where could I go to get a reman unit?

Does anyone know if I use a computer out of an automatic if it will hurt anything being that my truck is a 6 speed?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM

dealer will just have to flash it to a manual version thats all. i know that because thats what chris did to mikes truck when he put a 4r in it. flashed it to a manual so that the check engine light wouldnt come on
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mine does this and it hasn't been fixed yet....

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM

Well, got the new computer in and reflashed. Runs great on the stock setting. Still does the same crap when you load a tune.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Well, we figured it out. The Oil temp sensor pigtal was bad. Spliced in a used one and all is well. Got the SPD tune loaded in and all seems to be well. Now time for a live tune hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.