Horsepower Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horsepower Question?

I'm still learning alot about these trucks but I was looking to buy another 6.0. I really want to get a rcsb and make a streetable race truck. I don't know the hp i would need but I'd like to build a mid 11 second truck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You're probably going to need at least 650hp and probably closer to 700hp but I'm sure there are guys who actually race and can have a better idea of what you'll need.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM

For some reason I figured it would be some outrageous number and kill my hopes lol. Appreciate the responses tho, 700 doesn't seem that crazy tho.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I would say that mid to high 600s is relatively straight forward (not going to say it is easy or cheap but is doable) to achieve with all of the advances in aftermarket technology/knowledge for the 6.0.

Aside from the normal bullet proofing modifications to the motor, you're going to need injectors, turbo system (at the very least a big single and possibly compounds), fuel system (this one is debatable on which way to go), and transmission. Then you'll probably need some incidentals like traction bars, LS/locking differential, and tires. I would figure on spending around $15k for all of this. Should make a beast of a truck though, I would think.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 AM

S366, divided up pipes, maybe a gate, fuel system, tranny, larger injectors, and nitrous will get you there. Your bottom end may not like you tho with to much of that spray.

Last edited by 06powerstroke06; 01-17-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM

I figured it wouldn't be cheap but that's why i'm gonna start buying stuff now. 06, what would be your turbo suggestion if I wanted to go all fuel? I'm really hoping Adrian's stage 5 is r/d'ed and dyno'ed before I build this truck haha.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Matt (06powerstroke06) will be able to tell you more about this kinda stuff than I ever will, but here's my two cents. If you want to get into the 11s on your lift and tire setup,fuel only, compounds are going to be the best way to go. a VGT hasn't broken 700 on fuel only, yet, and a big single nonVGT may end up being tough to drive on the street. You are looking at 225 or bigger sticks to get there, I think, which means HPO upgrades. I don't know how much your stock rods are going to appreciate that kind of power either.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Gents, keep in mind the OP mentioned that he wanted "a mid 11 second" truck (I assume that to mean ~11.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile) and was looking at a regular cab 2wd truck, which weighs in the mid 6k lb range. With the HP calculator it means that he can reach that with ~650-700hp, so I would say that if he can make high 600s (i.e. 685-690hp), he should be fine and his bottom end should hold together right?? Hope this makes sense. No real point in going more than what he wants to build (of course that could change too )
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'd say you aren't going to get there for under $20k at a minimum if you do your own work. And lets not discount the fact that Ford doesn't make a RCSB Super Duty so you are going to have to shorten the frame and do all of those mods yourself too. You are looking at a very extensive build.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Thanks Nate, i totally missed the whole regular Cab truck part. I was operating under the impression that he was wanting to ge this current truck, in the sig, into the mid 11s. So you're rights we are talking about a 650-700 hp truck. The bottom end should hold together, but just ask kdogg how his did at that power level. I think most trucks will last on the stock bottom end at over 700 hp. I guess it depends how much the OP wants to spend and how lucky he feels. Also, since it is a designated race truck and doesn't have to turn big wheels and tires, I would think a big single is not out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.