Horsepower Question? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm on the fence on the race thing. I believe that the trucks can make it there, horsepower, tranny. As far as what turbo combination compounds or large non VGT have shown to do it on fuel only. My goal is for a large VGT to do it but that remains to be seen. The thing I'm on the fence is the weight thing, I have read and talked to guys that race, and it seems that on a diesel it needs the load to make the most power. So I have been told that weight doesn't change the times that much on a diesel since it needs the load, unlike a gassed. The way around not having the load is nitrous, so it is a very interesting subject, weight does it really matter for a diesel dragtruck fuel only?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

weight matters alot! how would it not? diesels weigh enough as it is. the thing we battle most is to much weight and putting extra strain on parts, mostly transmission. a full fiberglass body regular cab 4wd with no bed just fiberglass bed sides still weighs around 6000.

think about it. a cclb 4wd at about 8200lbs with 700hp, do you think It could keep up with a 6200lbs rcsb with 700 hp?

If you want to run 2wd you will need slicks in the rear. you will never hook up on the track with street tires.

Last edited by 06powerstroke06; 01-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

I was getting at the weight gives you load which is what the 6.0 needs for full boost build. I have talked to a couple of guys that told me that making the truck lighter didn't have any effect on their time. Now I'm not talking about huge amounts like say over 1500 lbs. Much of what I have seen on dynos, if you load them the 6.0 builds max boost, if you decrease the load to a certian point you will actually lose boost and not build full power. Weight can also be considered to be same as load, I'm also talking about fuel only. Now going down a drag strip the load is also increased by the the front of a brick of the truck punching through the air but unroll speeds get high enough. I'm open to what I have heard about what other have seen, I also believe in that's why when you roll into the throttle you can build more boost than just slamming the throttle. Now I looking into this I don't know if it's a VGT thing or a 6.0 thing, just something I wanted to bring up, not saying that it has value to it or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

think about power to weight ratio.

Youre not drag racing on a load cell or non load cell dyno, that is entirely irrelevant to how it performs at the track. Any diesel suffers to spool on dynos that are operated by ding dongs.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM

so I should go add a couple thousand pounds to my 4650lb drag truck so It will load the turbos more?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

It's a theory, and a couple of guys had told me it happened to them on the track. I'm also taking VGT where that ECM pain in the butt computer adjust the vanes per load in put. A non VGT would not have the problems and the compounds wouldn't either. I don't have any real data but I will try playing with the weight when I get the truck to the drags this year. As far as the loaded dyno goes if you load the dyno to the weight of the truck plus the resistance of the road you still would come up a little shy. The load should be at about 10000lbs to get the turbo to spool the whole way, so the ECM will hold the vanes closed for the load. That one of the reasons the 6.0 can't do crap on a unloaded dyno, you can hold the brake on it to get the load but as soon as you let brake off the boost will drop. I'm not saying that I'm correct on the weight load theory, just something I will be looking at more.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just had a rotating assembly that had been through heck, and it just gave out. I abused that setup pretty badly, and it did good as long as it did I thought.

The whole weight thing shouldn't really matter at the track if the fuel is enough to push the charger(s), the dyno is just simulating the weight as best it can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.