How much power really? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much power really?

Hey guys, will be bullett proofing an 04 and the customer wants to run with the "Big Boys" in town. We have one fella that ran 1300 ft lbs to the tires at our local annual dyno shootout. We have another fella (running propane) that his truck sounds demon possessed and will fry the tires in 4wd. Now, I am supposed to upgrade my customer's truck to run with these guys. Here's the rub, my son in law has talked to both these guys and they say that all they did was run a special wheel on the stock turbo, stock sticks, and a tuner. I say no friggin way! I can't reproduce those results to my customer with just a wheel and tune. Theres got to be more to the story. Either they don't know what was done to their truck (as the one fella bought already modded, and the other fella keeps pretty quiet) or they are not saying. Can you guys give me some clarity on what mods would need to be done to reproduce what these two local animals currently have. My poor customer is under the assumption that he can have the same results with a grand or so in mods (after the bullet proofing of course) I did find out after pressing for more information that the fella running propane, his egt's where always 1,700 and finally melted the motor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
aftermarket turbo and new injectors, custom tune, upgraded HPOP, lift pump or some other pump to support the fuel requirements...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 AM

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/mem...runner408.html

Check out his sig with all his mods. I'm sure other people will jump in on this but a turbo bigger sticks and nos would set him in the right direction.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecodger View Post
Hey guys, will be bullett proofing an 04 and the customer wants to run with the "Big Boys" in town. We have one fella that ran 1300 ft lbs to the tires at our local annual dyno shootout. We have another fella (running propane) that his truck sounds demon possessed and will fry the tires in 4wd. Now, I am supposed to upgrade my customer's truck to run with these guys. Here's the rub, my son in law has talked to both these guys and they say that all they did was run a special wheel on the stock turbo, stock sticks, and a tuner. I say no friggin way! I can't reproduce those results to my customer with just a wheel and tune. Theres got to be more to the story. Either they don't know what was done to their truck (as the one fella bought already modded, and the other fella keeps pretty quiet) or they are not saying. Can you guys give me some clarity on what mods would need to be done to reproduce what these two local animals currently have. My poor customer is under the assumption that he can have the same results with a grand or so in mods (after the bullet proofing of course) I did find out after pressing for more information that the fella running propane, his egt's where always 1,700 and finally melted the motor
They are both 6.0 trucks I assume?
You won't get huge results with just a wheel change alone.
What does he use the truck for?

Personally I think some 175/75 and a MTW stage 3 with all the supporting mods is a pretty mean street setup.
As far as price goes you will likely be looking at 4-5K range.

Pretty sure there is a guy on PSA with that setup and he hit some really nice numbers when he sprayed

Edit.....they are 205s not 175s.
superblazin's whicked build - PowerStrokeArmy

Last edited by alwil; 01-15-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
$1k in mods will get yo no where near that kind of power, if those guys are actually making that. everyone and their brother who has a tuner and exhaust on their diesel thinks they have 600hp. Most are lucky to have 450hp. Assuming these guys are actually making that kind of power, they are lying about their mods. period. Its going to take injectors, probably 205s, big single turbo or compounds, fuel system, built tranny, gauges, custom written tunes to guarantee 600 hp. I would say closer to $10k.

A 6.0 with exhaust, intake, and custom tunes will keep pace with most "600 hp" street trucks out there.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM

I'd say to get him there he's going to need much bigger injectors, a bigger turbo, built tranny, custom tunes, exhaust, and probably nitrous

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, customer just left my office and I showed the replies to him as well and he fully understood. Gave me a $20,000.00 budget to work with which will include bullet proofing, turbo, injectors, and tuning as well as supporting mods. Any suggestions here are appreciated, thanks again.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Assuming you are shooting for around 600 hp, that should get you about 1200 ft-lbs of torque, I would say for injectors you will want 205/100s. 600hp can be hit with 190s but just barely, and its not a guarantee. If you step up to 225s, the truck will probably need some kind of a HPOP upgrade, that means an adrenaline pump if it is 03-04, otherwise dual pumps.

For the turbo, there are three options. Big Single VGT, like the Mad Turbo Werks Stage 3 or Stage 4, Big Single nonVGT, like an S366, or Compounds like 62mm over S475. These are just examples. The VGT will drop in and drive similar to stock, maybe just slightly more lag, but tuning can be a little more difficult to get nailed down. The singe nonVGT will be pretty easy to install. I recommend divided up-pipes. But, it will spool a little slower so driving on the street will be different. Single nonVGTs benefit from a looser torque converter. Compounds will require the most fabrication and adjustment in tuning and wastegate settings. But, IMHO, they offer the greatest versatility to the truck, and are simply badazz

Of course, the typical bulletproofing will be required along with transmission and driveline upgrades. There are several build threads in this section of the Forum that should give you some idea as to what some of us are doing with our trucks.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Does the customer plan on towing heavy?? There is a trade off of big power and towing heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No towing. Street brawler. Uses His 1 ton Duramax for towing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.