Worse MPG with air intake??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Worse MPG with air intake???

Did anyone else notice a decrease in MPG after installing a air intake? I installed a S&B awhile back and noticed a decrease in MPG. I was looking back today at my records and there was a 2-3 MPG decrease since installing the air intake. I am going to reinstall my factory air filter and see if it increases. Did anybody else notice a decrease in fuel mileage after installing air intake????

Will

2004 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab FX4, Dark Grey, T3 Front and Rear replacement bumpers, Fumoto valve, Diamond plate running boards, Zoodad mod, Dieselsite coolant filter w/ ELC, Blue Spring Mod, LED cab lights, Edge Insight CS, SCT SF3, PHP FICM/ECM rollback, Sinister EGR Delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ARP head Studs, Zone Offroad Leveling Kit, CCV Mod, Straight Exhaust, S&B intake, Atlas 40, 295/75R16 BFG,
post #2 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tell me when you put your stock filter on and get info on it whether it made a difference or not. I have an 04 but been a long time since I had a stock intake. If it doesn't make a difference I would like to work with you on it. I guess I just like the abuse, in trying to learn and figure the 6.0 out.

2004 F250 Ext.cab fabtech 5.5" lift,and traction bars 35" on 18".2005-2007 grill and LED headlights,58v FICM, Warren dual HPOP system, fuel reg. return system, areo 1000a fuel pump, dual fuel filters, ARP studded heads, CCV reroute, EGR delete, 225/75 Warren injectors, water/meth injection (cooling mist),SCT tuner with customs, banks intercooler. MTW stage 4 turbo, built trans by Andy Warren, 4:10 Detroit lockers.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is really odd, is it from blended diesel?

My mpgs keep going down with every mod because I can't keep my foot off the go pedal. LOL

Cameron
2006 F250 Lariat CCSB
Comp Turbo 64/88 compounds
Warren 285/100
ODAWG ported intake
R&R rods, mahle pistons, stage 2 colt cam
Built Trans
Water/Meth
post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM

X2 on the mods = loud pedal = low mpg. What are you gonna do?

But seriously, I have the Zoodad and an Airaid filter. When I took the restrictive front off of my box the mpg went up. Although winter idling/warm up has been taking it's toll.

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Have you cleaned it at all? I know the aftermarket air filters need far more attention because they can't hold but about 10% of the capacity of dirt as a stock filter before air flow decreases. Just a thought.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy130 View Post
Have you cleaned it at all? I know the aftermarket air filters need far more attention because they can't hold but about 10% of the capacity of dirt as a stock filter before air flow decreases. Just a thought.
While they do require cleaning/maintenance/changing like any other filter, I disagree. Mine has been pretty dirty, complete with bugs, and there was no noticeable change in performance. For that matter, my filter monitor hardly moves.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

Last edited by Karls03; 01-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanwill View Post
Did anyone else notice a decrease in MPG after installing a air intake? I installed a S&B awhile back and noticed a decrease in MPG. I was looking back today at my records and there was a 2-3 MPG decrease since installing the air intake. I am going to reinstall my factory air filter and see if it increases. Did anybody else notice a decrease in fuel mileage after installing air intake????

Will
If you are still in the process of swaping intakes, could you get a maf reading from stock and S$B. My peak maf reading whent down with the S$B.

Aaron 2005 f250 552/1040 45k miles
S&B. 4" mbrp, Arp's, Dual oil bypass. CCV fltr, Clnt fltr Mag trans pan 08 diff cover. 4.10's, 315's MotoMetal 951 & 5" lift.TGC trac bar, Bislstien Shocks & Dual stear stabilizer. B&W . Air Rides. Snows MPG Max. Edge Insight, fuel sens. DC Eng.185 alt. 58v ficm 6.4 Juger pump Fass sump
NO more mtw turbo
AJB Custom R.R.
AJB Custom y pipe
AJB P&P Intake
PHP Gryphon
Banks IC
BARDER Stg2
Warrens 175/30
P.I. T.C & input.
Flight Fab. Track bars
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondajb View Post
If you are still in the process of swaping intakes, could you get a maf reading from stock and S$B. My peak maf reading whent down with the S$B.
Aaron what does that mean?? The amount of air going thru the maf sensor is less? I didn't notice any mpg decrease but when I installed my intake I wasn't driving around like a grandpa trying to squeeze mpg out either. I did notice more off idle power and throttle response.

05 F250 FX4 Lariat, SCT Livewire, 155cc injectors, Gryphon FICM tuner, ARP studs, MTW Stage 2 Turbo, Riff Raff boots, Warren Built trans, PMF traction bars ,4 inch straight pipe, Sinister EGR delete, S&B CAI, N-fab bars, level kit, 5% limo tint, 35 Toyos and 20s, Recon smoked everything, Harley headlights, 5k HID's, Camlocker toolbox, lots more
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

I know it is not less but where the maf mounts in the newcai tube it is larger and so there is more volume but less velocity. I swaped back and forth to double check. my peak maf readings drop 100 g/s.. I think that is the right measurement, with the s&b. I have asked a few people to check this for me but no one has.

Aaron 2005 f250 552/1040 45k miles
S&B. 4" mbrp, Arp's, Dual oil bypass. CCV fltr, Clnt fltr Mag trans pan 08 diff cover. 4.10's, 315's MotoMetal 951 & 5" lift.TGC trac bar, Bislstien Shocks & Dual stear stabilizer. B&W . Air Rides. Snows MPG Max. Edge Insight, fuel sens. DC Eng.185 alt. 58v ficm 6.4 Juger pump Fass sump
NO more mtw turbo
AJB Custom R.R.
AJB Custom y pipe
AJB P&P Intake
PHP Gryphon
Banks IC
BARDER Stg2
Warrens 175/30
P.I. T.C & input.
Flight Fab. Track bars
post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Best intake...was your stock system..its all thats needed to 500HP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode