Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 lift pump and AD2 165 success!!!

33K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  JUGERNAUT 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok this took a while because I have been very busy! But I have success and I am very happy with outcome.

first off in prior posts I was asking for amp reading for a reason one to help identify what was going on with them and also to rule out 10 gauge wire need! If you run it by itself then yes I think the 10 gauge wire is a good idea,but if you do this there is no need. I was recording 6 to 7 amps with my airdog 2 by itself and with the 6.4l pump in front of it I recorded 2 to 3 amps tonight and pump was audibly much quitter. I also was running at 60 psi and after I installed the 6.4l lift pump the pressure increased to 80 as you will see in photos I had to back pressure regulator screw out almost 1/4 of a inch to get it back to 60 psi,i was amazed!!! Rich and I already identified the problem with the pumps being the shaft seal and purflow promptly said they where a problem and offered new pumps. I received my new one but elected not to install it yet as the needle is perfectly still now so now on to what I did.

1) Took the factory plug and cut it in half I added 4 feet of 10g wire with 4 wires 2 for WIF and 2 for pump. I also made a leg off the power wire for airdog 2 relay wire!

2) lilpooh (Rich) fabricated a bracket 5 inches high and 7 inches wide to fit 6.4l lift pump

3) The return I decided to use the factory suction line this is the 5/8 line on top of tank because the other line is 1/4 inch and that is not large enough. I dropped tank and bent this line with bending tool to rear of tank after removing suction screen. This will vent any air that is in the fuel to rear of tank and not directly down at sump!

3) Measured lines and installed like this,from sump to 6.4l inlet, from 6.4l outlet to airdog2 inlet, from airdog2 outlet to 6.4l return inlet, then from 6.4l oulet to 3/8 nipple on top of tank capping off 1/4 with plug.

THIS IS WHAT IT JUMPED TO WHEN I FIRST STARTED IT! THE 6.4L PUMP IS ONLY 8 PSI BUT HIGH VOLUME. THE AIRDOG2 REALLY LIKED NOT HAVEING TO LOOK FOR FUEL. I HAD TO TURN IT WAY DOWN THATS WHEN MY AMPS DROPPED TO 3 AMPS.

I hope you guys liked this!! I had fun doing it!

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't care if this sounds stupid or not: where is your 6.0 pump? Further, I'm waiting on FedEx for a 6.0 HFCM, should I return it for a 6.4 pump?

My only fuel system mod is a blue spring.

Thanks for sharing. It's cool seeing different ideas.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
No question is stupid my friend, I don't have a 6.0l pump I replaced it with the airdog2. DONT run just a 6.4l pump alone as it only makes 8 psi. The 6.4l pump is high volume low pressure pump because it feeds a common rail system.

#5 ·
Makes sense. Kinda glad, I didn't want to wait another 10~15 days on back and forth shipping to change my fuel pump. :thumb:

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
IIRC, his clear line is for the CCV mod.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
lilpooh got yours but yes as soon as i get one its yours!!!!

LMAO RETARD STRENGTH!!!

#13 ·
LOL!!!!! Good one!!:haha:

#12 ·
Thanks Dale!! We will install come spring, from sump to heads.

Install time E.T.A.-- 1 case of beer or 2 cases??

#14 ·
Looks like I have another project after I figure out my current issue. And before my trans. Haha at least this one will be beneficial!! Nice work Dale

#16 ·
We have to meet up soon to figure my issue out. Everytime I look at my AD wrong it acts up. I don't even want to touch it!

#22 ·
#23 ·
Thanks dogpooh I have been busy today :)

#24 ·
2) lilpooh (Rich) fabricated a bracket 5 inches high and 7 inches wide to fit 6.4l lift pump

3) The return I decided to use the factory suction line this is the 5/8 line on top of tank because the other line is 1/4 inch and that is not large enough. I dropped tank and bent this line with bending tool to rear of tank after removing suction screen. This will vent any air that is in the fuel to rear of tank and not directly down at sump!

3) Measured lines and installed like this,from sump to 6.4l inlet, from 6.4l outlet to airdog2 inlet, from airdog2 outlet to 6.4l return inlet, then from 6.4l oulet to 3/8 nipple on top of tank capping off 1/4 with plug.

THIS IS WHAT IT JUMPED TO WHEN I FIRST STARTED IT! THE 6.4L PUMP IS ONLY 8 PSI BUT HIGH VOLUME. THE AIRDOG2 REALLY LIKED NOT HAVEING TO LOOK FOR FUEL. I HAD TO TURN IT WAY DOWN THATS WHEN MY AMPS DROPPED TO 3 AMPS.

I hope you guys liked this!! I had fun doing it!

Guys,

In red font are all the giveaways about the type of pump. The question didn't get skipped or overlooked. Ya'll were just too excited over the new setup ya'll overlooked what Dale was saying!! :haha:

Excellent job again Dale!!!

Thanks dogpooh I have been busy today :)
Busy helping me!! Thanks again buddy!!!

#25 ·
Lilpooh, little chit, dogpooh all means the same, just depends what part of the country your from!! LOL!!

#26 ·
lmfao I was waiting for this nice one pooh

#29 ·
Guess I will be doing this

#30 ·
Hmmm, this is a nice alternative. Could just run the stock 6.4 pump feeding my stock 6.0 pump and see what happens. If it can't keep up at that point, just stick a fuelab pump in front of the stock 6.4 setup and eliminate the stock 6.0 pump.

JUGERNAUT, where are you reading fuel pressure from?

#32 ·
Ever read behind the heads at all? Are you running a RR or the stock return setup? Mine always seems to show good pressure in front of the heads, but behind the heads is downright scary.

#33 ·
Quick question, I have an old 6.0 HFCM laying on my bench in the garage with a bad pump. Will the 6.4 pump cartridge fit the 6.0 HFCM?

#34 ·
Chris, can you do me a favor and measure the lines on the 6.0 HFCM? I think the top two are the same and the bottom two are the same. One is supposedly 5/16" but I'm not sure about the other. If you have a set a calipers to measure, that'd be awesome. Thanks bud!!!

#40 ·
Nice job dale! I've always liked the idea of using a low pressure pump feeding a high pressure pump. I Started with my low pressure FASS feeding my factory pump....now have the low pressure FASS feeding a fuelab pump. Great work and nice pics.

#44 ·
Got another stupid question, can I run the 6.4 HFCM without a filter? I would like to keep my current Racor setup in line that I installed without causing to much of a restriction if I decided to do this feeding my factory 6.0 HFCM.

#45 ·
Do you guys think a 6.4 pump feeding the 6.0 pump with a regulated return would be enough to feed 190s or do you think it would be necessary to upgrade the high pressure pump. I dont know much about how the fuel systems work and Im trying to figure out what kind of fuel system I want to do before I get injectors.

#46 ·
subscribeing so i can do this mod later

#47 ·
I ran my low pressure FASS feeding my stock pump for a few years with no problems...and I had 190's.

#51 ·
Anyone see a problem running a PPE low pressure/ high volume instead of the 6.4L pump? They can be had much cheaper and I don't trust Ford.
You can run ANY low pressure high volume pump you want....to feed your high pressure pump. The idea behind not wanting a 6.4 pump because you don't trust ford is the silliest thing I've heard. Yeah there are failures of those pumps out there but statistically, they have had higher failures with other components than strictly the pump. My '05 HFCM finally went out with 84,000 miles on it. Is that the greatest?? Idk. It had 2300 hrs on it. That's not bad if you ask me. Just my $0.02

You can buy 6.4 pump EVERYWHERE!!

A 6.4 pump feeding a 6.0 pump with a RR would DEFINITELY be enough to support 190's. The RR is obviously designed to keep fuel pressure constant and set at a predetermined value by the user and the 6.0 HFCM is capable of some ludicrous, 100 psi I believe. The 6.0 HFCM demise is volume, not PSI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.