Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My tuning NIGHTMARE!!

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SPD319 
#1 ·
Bear with me...

Truck came with a Edge CS, but the monitor wasn't working. It was set on 3. Pulled it ,sent it back to Edge for repair. I was told the tune would be gone upon pulling the CS(by a friend).

Meantime I buy a SCT Livewire TS.. I install it. Works Great! Then I call Edge to see the status of my repair. Edge says it's on it way back to you. I confirm that the tune was removed upon unplugging it. WRONG! No big deal. People stack tuners all the time.....or is it "no big deal"?? Sct was then reset back to stock and unplugged.

Today I call Edge, they help me set the CS back to stock. I install, reset and unplug. Then I call SCT and explain what had happened. I suspected the SCT captured my Edge tune as being stock when i realized the Edge tune was still in my PCM. The tech tells me to run some tests with the Livewire...we do and all is well,"go ahead and tune, you're good to go".

As soon as I start the process of installing the Performance tune, my truck starts flipping out. The radio turns on at full bore, the dash lights all start blinking and making this annoying clicking, but the program installs. Truck was FUBAR at this point....4 hrs. on the phone and the final result is my PCM and brand new Livewire are on the way to Florida!

I am NOT in ANY way bashing either Edge or SCT!!! As a matter of fact, I was absolutely amazed at the time they both spent trying to assist me. I hope it's nothing major with my truck, but I won't have a problem buying either of the their products in the future. Both are top notch companies and seem to care about their customers.

See less See more
#2 ·
You were not the first and you won't be the last one to do that. Doh! I could be wrong, but it sounds like your voltage got too low during the reprogramming. I always recommend that you have a good charger on the vehicle when flashing. If you can't, make sure the batteries are fully charged.

#3 ·
Wow, man that sucks bad! Hopefully they will get it all straightened out for you.

#4 ·
I'm hoping they make it right. I had all the confidence in the world in them last night....I'm starting to get a little PO'ed since they offered to overnight it back to them to do a "priority" fix and its been almost 24 hrs and I have yet to see a shipping return label in my email! We will see......

#6 ·
Well....I overnighted the PCM and tuner back to SCT. They received it by 8 am the next morning and its on the way back to me by 11 that same day. Sadly enough, when I get it back and install it, it's doing the same thing. So, just as twoicebergs suggested, I connect a jumper box to it to see if it's the batteries. No change. One last ditch effort before I call SCT back, I connect the battery charger to it for two hours. It fired right up. THANK GOD! It acted like no other "low/dead" battery I've ever seen before and the headlights were bright as ever. Beats me, but I have since sold the SCT and my EVO and have had the strategies updated all throughout the truck at the local Ford dealer. I didn't sell the tuner because I think it caused this. I sold it because I'm a little gunshy now. The one and ONLY thing I didn't like about the SCT was the fact that I couldn't change the tune without going through the montions of turning it(truck) on and off with the key to change the tune and that is what would have had to drain my batteries. Either way. I'm sold on both EDGE and SCT for their customer service! Thanks guys!

#7 ·
I forgot to mention. I can't believe one of the techs didn't suggest the low battery thing! They must have spent $100+ on shipping charges to find nothing wrong with it. I think I will call them and let them know my findings, just incase they run into this again.

#9 ·
So let me get this right. You are going to let the fact that you had bad batteries keep you from tuning your truck? I have to turn my truck off and on when I change tunes and it doesn't run my batteries down and never has. Come on man, don't let it keep you from doing what you really want to do. Changing tunes on the fly with a 6.0L is not a good idea with these transmissions. They need to be tuned as well. The SCT does that, that is why so many of us use that tuner for our trucks, but then again, what do I know? I am just an old lady with a slow, old truck!

#12 ·
Im currently running my second ts due to the first one wiping my pcm out after loading the street canned tune. The 65 towing tune works fine and is on it right now, im also gunshy about trying to load another tune. The next one is gonna be a custom tune for sure. Shift on the fly would be awesome...

#13 · (Edited)
My CTS Juice w/attitude just arrived today. I'm not sure when I'll install it, but the packaging is nice..lol It's still in the plastic wrap. I'm hearing "go SCT" 90% of the time, but I'm wondering if this is mainly due to the fact that this unit is twice the price? The simplicity of the tune shifting is a huge thing to me. When the SCT tech told me(and I quote) "I don't care if you're pulling a bicycle on a single axle trailer, you need to switch to towing",.....I don't want to have to go through the couple minute process. As far as the CTS, I won't demand much from it, so I'm sure it will work for me...if not, I'll sell it and move on. I can't say enough good things about either of these companies. Both are truely focused on customer service!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.