Turbo and ECM performance/ need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo and ECM performance/ need some help

Ok I have trying to find a common on these trucks as to way some run great with no problems with peformance upgrades mostly turbos and some not.The 03-04 trucks no problems slap a bigger turbo on and go runs great, no surging, good boost, lower egt, the way it's suppose to work. 06-07 trucks also don't have problems. Now 05 well some do and some don't, some surge, others can't build boost, and other just run same if not hotter egts.

Now let me explain about the way a turbo works, if you replace the smaller turbo for a bigger turbo you will have more air, which will lower egts, and give engine more power. It has too the turbo is flowing and cramming more air into the engine. If you are running smokey and high egts then more air will get rid of it (DIESELS).

So here's where I need help from all the members, and it will help out all the members in return. I have been getting in deep with the problems and I insured the guys that have my turbos that I would find out way some run great and other no so. The turbo is not the problem with any of the truck, the problem is the ECM(PMC) and the strategy code used.

The 05 trucks are different than any other year and here is why, in 05 Ford decided to try out things with the strategy and computers to fix some of the problems they were having. Why I don't know, but 05 trucks, some have MAF(Mass Air Flow) sensors, some have speed density, and other nothing at all. 03-04, 06-07 all have MAF sensors, now depending on the year depends on what the ECM is using the MAF for.

So what have seen is that the 05 that are MAF ones no problems while speed density are having the surging problems and the boost issues. The bigger turbo flows more air and the ECM puts in the input it has to go by so the vanes in the turbo are not where they should be,. I can give you and example of this in the Ford mustang 5.0 of late that have experiance in. The 1988 speed density must is a pain to upgrade performance in, just a simple cam change can cause all sorts of running issues. In 1989 Ford started to put MAF in the mustangs and they are a dream to modify, just becuase the ECM is using the MAF for it's calulations.

Now for the help, I need members with 05 trucks to go and look at the ECM computer they have record the number on the side of it DPU-??? , the strategy they have and if they have MAF, nothing or IAT( Intake Air Temperature or speed density). The ECM is located over by the drive side battery, right behide it on the inner fender. It has three plugs on it and you will see numbers on it I just need the ones after the DPU. The MAF will be right after the air filter in the intake tube with a plug hooked to it. The IAT sensor will only have two wires to it and looks like a oxygen sensor on the end of it. If you see nothing then you don't have either.

The Ford techs and help out alot, and if I got some of the info wrong like calling the IAT a speed density system, just trying to keep it simple. Well that's what I have so far, and of cousre the strategy codes correspond with the system the truck has. Thanks ahead for the help.

Last edited by madpowerstroke; 01-07-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Adrian, I'll get you some info this evening.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

what about the odd ball 04.5 trucks?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can not seem to find the number after DPU on mine. Where is it located on the ECM? My strategy is VCXF9 and I have MAF. I assume that all of the California truck will have the MAF for smog reasons.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Adrian, I have an idea that you may want to include in this research on your problem. With the surging trucks, how many are non MAF trucks that have removed the EGR? The MAF trucks will use the MAF signal to figure egr related positioning and VGT vane operation as well.

Well the non MAF trucks don't have the MAF signal to use for that information and use their learn cycle when the key is turned on to set the table data that it uses to control the VGT. If the EGR is removed and not plugged in then that key on learning cycle doesn't take place. (see the egr thread in the general section started by 04cr450) If the learning cycle doesn't happen and the turbo has been changed then the data the ECM is using for its calculations is bogus and it is bound not to run right. And this would be unique to the 05 without the MAF sensor. Something to consider.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 01-07-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a MAF, my strategy is VCXF9 and my ECM code is CZP2 DPU-442 EE0FA 4M181.

Last edited by Evil Eye; 01-07-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
I have a MAF, my strategy is VCXF9 and my ECM code is CZP2 DPU-442 EE0FA 4M181.

Is that sticker above the 3 plugs on the ecm?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

I wanted to help but i dont have that sticker on my ecm. Is there any other way to find out what the code is? I tried hooking up the sct x3 to see if i could pull the code from there but it was a no go.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy70363 View Post
I wanted to help but i dont have that sticker on my ecm. Is there any other way to find out what the code is? I tried hooking up the sct x3 to see if i could pull the code from there but it was a no go.
On early trucks, the sticker is located on the SIDE of the PCM (facing forward towards the headlamp assy). On later trucks, the sticker is located UNDERNEATH the PCM and you'll need to physically remove the PCM to see it. Simple, though. 2 - 10mm bolts, 3 plugs, and PRESTO! Lift straight up and the PCM will come out.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
On early trucks, the sticker is located on the SIDE of the PCM (facing forward towards the headlamp assy). On later trucks, the sticker is located UNDERNEATH the PCM and you'll need to physically remove the PCM to see it. Simple, though. 2 - 10mm bolts, 3 plugs, and PRESTO! Lift straight up and the PCM will come out.
Thanks, Bill. So have you experienced any problems with your customers and surging while running your tuning and the Stage 1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.