need help spending my money - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help spending my money

Ok. So I dropped off my , new to me, 06 f350 yesterday for ARP, EGR delete , oil cooler , 5" cat delete exhaust and a laundry list of upgrades associated with a motor teardown of this type. I should mention that the truck has 89k with no issues and a clean oasis report. I have a Livewire TS and EGT kit on the way also.
Looking at a few additional upgrades but would like some input on where to best spend my dough right now. 1)FICM upgrade and reflash Swamps/PHP $700
2) regulated fuel return system approx $500 w/ free labor if I do it now. Not sure of the benifits of this upgrade so additional insight wouold be helpful
3) oil by pass filter system $400-500 (already having the coolant filter installed)

Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

If you really want a new ficm I would go with bulletproof diesels 6 phase instead of swamps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Korx, BPD has nice stuff and I'm sure it would be money well spent. Thing is, the swamps package would include a FICM performance tune with the re-build. Any thoughts on the benifit of the tune?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can get the best of both worlds. Buy the Bulletproof FICM and then call PHP and get a tune for it. I have the Atlas 40 from them and love it. That way you have a better FICM and a tune.

With all that being said I would go for the regulated return. With free labor for putting it on you can't beat that. An FICM swap is easy to do any time in your garage, where the regulated return will be MUCH easier to do with all the other work being done at that time.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Premium Member

I second w / Nate !!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

One of my freinds has a swamps 58v ficm with mild flash(40hp) for over 2 years and it works fine. Personally, I would skip the tune since you are getting a tuner and having arp's done. The tuner can max out the injectors and make any revisions like low end throttle reponse that's what you mostly notice with an ficm tune anyway, other than more heat. the bpd stuff is nice, I had their oil cooler kit and loved it, but they are very proud of what they produce, if you get my drift.

the reg return, if you want it fine, would also be a good time for a fuellab pump and get rid of the stocker if you go this route. I don't see any benefit to a reg return on a tune only truck because there are thousands of tuned trucks on the road that don't have it and never have any trouble. Now if you decided to get big injectors, it couldn't hurt.

And the oil bypass, unless you really want to risk running long oil changes, it is a waste also, they do have way finer filters than the stocker of course, but if you change oil every 5k, it's just a waste of money and a space eater under the hood. Again, thousands of trucks with who knows how many miles and they don't have it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks all for the input.. maybe I should have titled my thread "need help saving my money" but didn't want to hear "shouldn't have gotten a 6oh" lol
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With a bypass filter and a good synthetic oil test have shown that you can push OCI's to 10k without issue. That makes it well worth it IMO. Plus there is nothing like clean oil with our HEUI injectors.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
With a bypass filter and a good synthetic oil test have shown that you can push OCI's to 10k without issue. That makes it well worth it IMO. Plus there is nothing like clean oil with our HEUI injectors.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM

If the 6.0 was a common rail engine, I'd say go for it by all means. But being oil fired and shearing oil like a mofo, I wouldn't risk it myself, nothing wrong with the other guys using it and having success, but its just to finicky an engine to me to risk it.

As for your getting a 6.0 comment, you just bought the toughest rotating assembly among the big three. Now the junk involved to make it turn, that's another show folks. It is a good motor, Ford just ruined it with a weak egr cooler, oil cooler, and too tight toleranced injectors. Plus crappy antifreeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.