Acufab Intake Elbow hitting hood. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Acufab Intake Elbow hitting hood.

I installed the acufab intake elbow and just the other day when I was changing my oil I noticed that it was touching the hood insulation and some of the insulation is now burnt onto the top of the elbow and even lightly melted some of the boot coneting the elbow to the pipe. My question is are the 03 and 04 elbows different from the 05 to 07?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

05+ Intake Elbow on 03-04 Superduty - The Diesel Garage Forums
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 PM
one day at a time

Yes the 03-04 & 05+ are slightly different. IIRC from accufab, they recommend trimming some of the hood insulation on an 03 truck when installing their elbow.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The difference is the 03/04 has a large butterfly valve manifold that mounts underneath the elbow. Not sure what it's for. I purchased an innovative diesel elbow for an 05 & up truck, removed that crappy butterfly manifold (upon recommendation from someone knowledgable), and put the elbow in the truck. Runs great. That butterfly manifold has a permenant home on the shelf in my garage. hehe

The 05 and up trucks don't have this manifold. Not sure why. Maybe one of the techs will chime in and let us know.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The valve was designed to help with the EGR system. The valve partially closes and it creates a vacuum and this vacuum helps to pull exhaust into the motor. What is more interesting is that the valve is found on 03 and 04 motors, and the valve is not in use on the 03 motors. Starting in 05 the valve was deleted. I expect to see a return of the intake valve on diesels with ever increasing emissions regulations. For example the new 08 Duramax come equipped with an intake valve, all in the name of emissions. From what I have read about the new Duramax, the computer closes the valve to help with the EGR system and to increase EGTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.