Risk with no Gauges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Risk with no Gauges

I have an 06 and just bought a predatory programmer. I got it for $85 so I figured what the hell. I probably would have gotten an sct with dp tuner programs but like I said I got a great deal on the predator.
Question is: What is my risk level of running it without an egt gauge?

I am ordering a 4" turbo back exhaust today. Other than that the truck is stock. I don't do heavy towing and I am easy on my truck. I will stomp it from time to time but I do not dog my vehicles out.

On my previous truck 2000 PSD I had a dp tuner chip and a full set of gauges. Even towing my egts never got really high.

I just want to keep the interior of my truck stock. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
I would say since you saved so much on the programmer that I would justify the difference and get gauges. You'll really be kicking yourself in the azz if you have problems that could have been seen by observing gauges. Ford should have put better gauges in these trucks from the get go. My trans temp gauge goes up on my ISSPRO aftermarket gauge and the needle on my stock cluster seems to never move no matter what the temp is. The only time the stock gauge is any different is when the truck first gets started. Once it is warmed up it only goes to the half way mark and never moves past that....ever. Just my 2 cents. Get some gauges. At least Pyro and Trans. Maybe the steering column gauge mount would be your answer. It won't take away from the stock look and will give you peace of mind.

Rob
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would put gages on it since you spent so little on the duner, I know since I got gages and the sct x3 my egt has no problem getting up to 12-14 if I'm getting into it even if it's just for a few seconds, just my opinion though.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
+1 more with getting gauges ASAP
Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned

I firmly believe that gauges are essential when you alter the trucks performance. I can relate to your feelings on keeping the interior stock in appearance as well. One option that you have is to get a Quadzilla Commander. With it's built in user adjustable alarms, you could mount it out of sight and just have an audilbe alarm when your temps or boost hit the max that you want to see. Since you have an 06, you could put it in the little driver's glovebox where it would easily be accesible yet out of sight.

My Commander doesn't read coolant temp worth squat even after it was "repaired" by Quadzilla, but everything else works like a charm. I guess I will have to live with the coolant temp problem, but it's not that important since I know when the fan kicks on and rarely see temps that high.

My two cents is to not run tunes without at least a pyro. You have a factory boost gauge and they are fairly accurate. The truck will tell you when the coolant temp is high. The only other problem is the tranny temp. The factory gauge is worthless.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 AM

well I will be getting gauges. i am going with the isspro gauges. how well do they match an 06s dash?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Make Like Nike........JUST DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
I have an 06 and just bought a predatory programmer. I got it for $85 so I figured what the hell. I probably would have gotten an sct with dp tuner programs but like I said I got a great deal on the predator.
Question is: What is my risk level of running it without an egt gauge?

I am ordering a 4" turbo back exhaust today. Other than that the truck is stock. I don't do heavy towing and I am easy on my truck. I will stomp it from time to time but I do not dog my vehicles out.

On my previous truck 2000 PSD I had a dp tuner chip and a full set of gauges. Even towing my egts never got really high.

I just want to keep the interior of my truck stock. What do you guys think?
My Friend, you have way too much invested in that 2006 Stroker to "cheap out" now..............get yourself some good gauges and be done with it! Like I said.......make like Nike and Just Do It! You won't regret it!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:45 PM

I was thinking of not getting gauges until I got my sct. I am definately getting them now. I had no clue the sct would wake a sleeping giant like it did. The performance is nothing but incredible. I want to see how the vitals are holding up with this new adrenaline rush to the 6.0
Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
acually on the stock setting you can get to 900+. did it today acaully. I would run the truck with a downloader with out a egt guage at bare minamal
Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Well I SMOKED my trans. with no trans temp gauge. About $150.00 just cost me over $3K!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.