plastic or metal intercooler tube which is better - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question plastic or metal intercooler tube which is better

I saw Riff Raff diesel has a metal cac tube kit for the drivers side. Is there any gain over my stock plastic one? Ive started to notice a little oil residue coming out of the plastic tube on the top side of the motor where it connects to the intake elbow? if thats what its called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0kansaspowerstroke View Post
I saw Riff Raff diesel has a metal cac tube kit for the drivers side. Is there any gain over my stock plastic one? Ive started to notice a little oil residue coming out of the plastic tube on the top side of the motor where it connects to the intake elbow? if thats what its called.
The metal one is better, and is what came with the 03/04 trucks. The black plastic one tends to rub against the bottom of the air cleaner assembly until it has a hole in it. The plastic ones also tend to "pop off" under high levels of boost and under high temps. You can order one from Ford as well. Seach the forum for "metal CAC tube". I got one for my 06 a year or two ago. Was about $120 from Tousley Ford.

BTW, you will still see some oil at the intake manifold elbow - even with the metal cold side CAC tube. Mine has just a light amount of oil mist, not the drips that plastic one had. Only a CCV re-route will completely cure this.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM

I did a ccv re-route and just now noticed the oil mist on it. Mines an 04 and still has the plastic. Thanks for the info i think im going to order one and see what it does. Do you think the oil mist is just what is being worked out of the intercooler since i did the re-route?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you are seeing oil then your boots are shot and you ought to replace them. If oil can penetrate the boot then you better believe air can to. You could be loosing 1-3 lbs of boost through the boots.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
. You can order one from Ford as well.
Not anymore. I tried to order one at the beginning of this past week and they did not have any more and are not replenishing the stock of them.

I did place an order from sunrisefordparts.com who apparently has them in stock. I have not received the order yet to make sure it is the proper metal pipe
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM

I have a passenger side one laying around in my garage somewhere if you need it just sold the driverside it only has the intercooler boot on it.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
I have a passenger side one laying around in my garage somewhere if you need it just sold the driverside it only has the intercooler boot on it.
I think the OP was just looking for a metal "cold side" CAC tube (drivers side).
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Metal tubes won't crack like plastic tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
The metal one is better, and is what came with the 03/04 trucks. The black plastic one tends to rub against the bottom of the air cleaner assembly until it has a hole in it. The plastic ones also tend to "pop off" under high levels of boost and under high temps. You can order one from Ford as well. Seach the forum for "metal CAC tube". I got one for my 06 a year or two ago. Was about $120 from Tousley Ford.

BTW, you will still see some oil at the intake manifold elbow - even with the metal cold side CAC tube. Mine has just a light amount of oil mist, not the drips that plastic one had. Only a CCV re-route will completely cure this.

Good Luck
I recently read this: Unbelievable BUT TRUE!-oil leak fix? Yeah, it goes against the grain, but it seems to have had positive results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.