6.0 Street/Mild performance engine rebuild build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Street/Mild performance engine rebuild build

Two main bearings went out in my room mates '04 6.0 Powerstroke so we're going to pull it and rebuild the thing.

He has experience rebuilding gasser engines and I personally have rebuilt 2 5.9 Cummins (1 CR 24v 1 p-pump 12V), Mack E-Tech, 6.4L PSD, 6.6 Lb7. I have access to a very well equipt shop and techs who are way more experienced than me and am not worried about messing it up.

The engine will have the following mods when put together:
-FASS fuel system (may not be on right away but in near future)
-EGR delete
-4" down pipe to 5" Straight pipe
-Volant Intake
-Head studs
-upgraded oil cooler
-tuner (not sure which one yet, input is welcome)
-new hpop (maybe stock maybe modded)
-larger injectors (budget permitting)

Is there any (cheap or free) mods that I'm missing? My ruck and most of my experience is in a 7.3L PSD and i know we have the CCV mod and IDM mod as well as some others, are any of these compatible or are there any others?

We're pulling the engine next week. pictures will be uploaded then. Hopefully pulling the cab off Monday and seeing how far we get from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First of all ....
The stickies will be your best friend in here!

As far as the list you posted I have a few concerns -

"Upgraded oil cooler" - What do you mean by this? If you are going to stick with the stock design, then stick with an OEM oil cooler. For the best results you would want to get the Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler. This is a pricey option, but very worth it if you can swing it.

"tuner" - Hands down you will want to get the SCT tuner with custom tunes written for his application. Read around a little and you'll find a handful of the best tuners to contact.

"injectors if budget allows" - Contact Warren Diesel for "new" injectors. He does some of the best work out there and for a pretty reasonable price.

Let us know what other questions you have, this is a very helpful bunch here. Good Luck with the build!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^Good advice

Definitely read the stickies. In regards to to the HPOP, just go with stock, unless you are going to run some big injectors, like 255s or bigger. For the fuel system, I would just get a fuelab pump and a filter and water separator. Strictly Diesel has a nice kit using a fuelab pump if you want a kit.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know much about oil coolers so i'll look into the one you suggested. As for the fuel system, I'm probably going to do a more DIY approach on this. Fuel bowl delete, pre and post filters, and probably the stock fuel pump unless there is a reason i need to go larger with the fuel pump? The injectors we're looking at are 205/50's i think. nothing crazy. and yes we were planning on using a new stock hpop.

Thank you both!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i would replace the stock fuel pump with a fuelab or aeromotive pump. There was a thread somewhere about getting a group buy together for fuelab pumps
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM

No probelm man! 205/50s are pretty huge injectors. What is the end goal of this truck? Will he ever tow?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Towing on occasion maybe but not every day. a turbo upgrade in the future will fer sure happen but for right now the stocker will have to do. main goal is bad *** street truck, a sled pull here and there and a trip to the drag strip on occasion. mainly just a nasty daily driver though.

You say the 205/50s are a bit large? what would a better size be for this application? is this a question to call swamps/warren diesel/other injector companies for?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM

175/xx should work for this application. Much larger and you are going to need to upgrade the fuel system as well and that is costly.

I am currently building my truck with a Mad Turbo Werks Hybrid turbo with 175/stock injectors and I feel that this combo will work quite well. It is not running yet so I cannont comment on it but maybe he should look at something around this range. Anything more and you will need to upgrade the fuel system.

With the stock turbo i would not go with anymore than 175/75 injectors with a tune written to defuel so it will not be a smokey pig. Once he can upgrade to a bigger Turbo then all bets are off and he'll have a monster of a truck. But this is just my opinion for a street truck. Maybe someone else can chime in and give their opinionn.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

What are you doing about the heads?

k
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM

All good info but IMO you can run 190cc injectors plenty of people have done it and are still running it like that till they upgrade to a bigger turbo but that depends on what kind of HP and TQ range your looking for. I would call Warren Diesel for injectors stand up guy great customer service and great price. Once you talk to him on the phone you will see what I mean. One thing I didnt see mentioned is make sure to run ELC coolant and coolant filter. Also look up Power Hungry Performance for there FICM tuner worth the money as many people will tell you.

The biggest thing is whats the budget that will determine on what you can get now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.