What Head Gasket do I use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Head Gasket do I use?

So basically I have an 04 f250 that needs another set of head gaskets but I dont know which way to go. So for a little about the truck. its an 04 (early build 9-17-03). 4 inch lift, 35" tires, crew cab short box. I run powerhungry backdate ecm/pcm, php ficm tunes, swamps 58v ficm, sct live wire with php tunes. The egr is deleted, has the 100mm waterpump update. when the heads were done at the dealer about 3.5 years agp they put new heads on with arp studs and updated ford gaskets. at this point I am looking for the best option so i dont do this again. I am running a stock turbo at this point with stock injectors but would like to change them for bigger better ones but dont want to worry about blowing head gaskets again. I have thought about using the black onyx/diamond ones, hypermax gaskets or should i do a fire ring? suggestions on where to go would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

don't think about BO gaskets or there diamond ones again

OEM or RCD has just gaskets they are sworn to be made on the same line as OEM but just a different color for patent reasons
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM

OEM makes me nervous as I have blown two sets now one with studs
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

What caused the gaskets to go this time? 99% of the members here will recommend the OEM gaskets and I concur with that. BPD did a thread where they compared the differences between the Ford gaskets and the VRBO. I'd stay away from those. I'll look for that link for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Dont know what caused it this time. Have no heat keep getting air in coolant. I consistently get bubble in the degas bottle when the truck is running
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Here's that link about the gasket comparison:

Victor-Reinz/Black-Onyx Headgaskets, Why IMHO they fail
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can use all the right parts and not have the due diligence done on the heads

so they may be warped ,or cracked
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Well the heads on the truck are new/reman loaded heads from ford. But anything is possible. At this point I just want to fix it the best way possible so I van have a peace of mind.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Definitely OEM gaskets are your best bet. Did you ever have heat? Have you always had bubbles getting into degas bottle? I would have the heads checked and possibly resurfaced if need be BUT by a reputable shop that knows about the correct tolerances. If you cut too much off then the valves need to be recessed or cut as well otherwise they will hit pistons, I've seen this happen before by a guy that got heads and block decked but nothing done with valves and bang bad things happened. Also it is imperative to use the assembly lube with the studs also otherwise you get false torque readings. And not to bash on anybody, but some dealerships work off of flat rate and guys just slam stuff together.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsb032304 View Post
Well the heads on the truck are new/reman loaded heads from ford. But anything is possible. At this point I just want to fix it the best way possible so I van have a peace of mind.
99.99% chance that the new heads weren't 100% flat when ford got them and they just slapped it together before getting the heads checked. It has been common knowledge for quite some time now that even BRAND NEW heads from ford are out of flat and need to be surfaced. That is most likely the reason you blew the OEM gaskets again even with ARP studs. Either that or the guy who did it prepped the block surface wrong or poorly. OEM gaskets with ARP studs is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.