Best 6.0 fuel system?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best 6.0 fuel system??

ok, after all the issues originally with FASS, then onto the AD2.. im looking for options on what to do for a fuel system/regulated return.. I plan on going to 175s or 190s in near future and an MTW stage2 or stage3.
there are way too many threads of problems with existing fueling systems, and those of everyones homegrown systems to make most of us get lost in a common sense approach to ensuring I handle the fueling issues and needs of the 6.0.

im looking for pointers and solutions to what approaches i should consider that are proven and reliable
i also dont wanna throw $2k at it either but am willing to spend a sensible amount to cover the bases

thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AirDog has address the ADII issues recently. I'd suggest an AirDog 150 with a fuel tank sump to start.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Subscribed

I have heard negative feedback on just about every aftermarket fuel pump.

My plan is a XDP sump to a airdog 165 to a RR. I'm really hoping pureflow has actually fixed the problems. I really dont want to run 2 fuel pumps, I want to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Don't count on Pureflow having fixed the issues. They've been saying the were coming out with a fix for 2 years.

Forget FASS or Pureflow. Sump the tank, get a couple of filter heads and run a screw on water separator before a Fuelab 41402 Prodigy pump to a screw on 2 micron filter. then on to your engine to a Fuelab FPR. Use -10 feed lines to the pump and -8 to the engine, then -6 return. Done.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

I've run an AD2 for five years and IMO you cannot take their pump along with their install kit and expect it to be a reliable pump. My impression about Pure Flow is that they seem to have good techs that know what needs to be done and management that have their heads up their azzes, but since management isn't listening to the techs the techs are leaving Pure Flow. Whether or not I'm correct in my assumption I don't know but there has been internal arguments there.

Last edited by Term3; 12-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Don't count on Pureflow having fixed the issues. They've been saying the were coming out with a fix for 2 years.

Forget FASS or Pureflow. Sump the tank, get a couple of filter heads and run a screw on water separator before a Fuelab 41402 Prodigy pump to a screw on 2 micron filter. then on to your engine to a Fuelab FPR. Use -10 feed lines to the pump and -8 to the engine, then -6 return. Done.
Are you planning on using the variable speed control on the fuel lab pump? If so how are you planning on controlling it?

edit:

The fuel lab 529 fpr will control the pump speed.

Last edited by snafu!; 12-31-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No it won't it controls the pressure. The fuelab pumps are speed controllable with a jumper wire.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
No it won't it controls the pressure. The fuelab pumps are speed controllable with a jumper wire.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Check this out

52901 Electronic Fuel Pressure Regulator - Fuelab.com

It looks like they are pretty new, the fpr regulates mechanically and also speed of the pump.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mitch can correct me if I'm wrong but I remember a thread where he talked about having the speed of the pump tied into the TPS which is an excellent idea.

This is what my setup will be and since I already have the filter/water separator installed, it save me that money...haha..oh and I neglected to draw the line from the FPR 51501 going back to the tank since that's the regulator.

I plan on ball valves before the filters so I don't drain the entire tank changing filters...

Last edited by onebadcoastie; 12-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

There are 3 lugs on the Fuelab pump. Pos, gnrd, and speed. The pos and gnrd speak for themselves. The speed lug if gnrded will run the pump at reduced speed if it see's more than 2.5v it kicks to high speed. Like Shack said I am tying it into my TPS and that way whenever I go beyond half pedal it will kick it into high speed mode. No fancy controllers needed.

Interesting drawing Shack. You are planning to run the FPR in a pass through config before the engine rather than bring both lines off the back of the heads to the FPR and then return the way most set up a RR. I'm curious why you decided to do it this way. It will work like that and in fact that is how I will be running mine but I'm doing it because my back ports are already in use. Also I'd move your 2 micron filter to after the pump and let the pump push through it rather than leave it on the draw side.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 12-31-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.