which turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which turbo

So I am trying to help someone with their 6.0 he is saying that his truck is sluggish. So I told him something has to be wrong. I told him I would have ford check out the turbo and see if ford thinks its going bad. He is thinking about just changing out the turbo when I help him do a egr block off and rebuild his oil cooler. The real question is what is a good turbo for someone that is going to do some light tuning he does tow with it, but he doesnt wanna go to over the top with performance but something that is still good to tow with and fun to drive everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

You're going to have to be more specific with "sluggish". In stock form they are REAL sluggish from a dead stop because the EGR system is taking the exhaust from the turbo. Plugging the EGR cooler will definitely get some throttle response, but if it's an 05 or newer it's going to light the CEL. Then you need an SCT to turn it off.

Turbos are pretty spendy, so I'd investigate other performance avenues before buying an aftermarket turbo.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sucks that he is willing to just throw parts at it, but hey.... it's his money!!

"Sluggish" could be a number of things. CAC system leak, exhaust manifold to turbo leaks, weak HPOP system, bad sensors, poor maintenance, could be anything.

He needs to get live data and start testing.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM

well I feel bad for him so im trying to help him I told him if it was my truck i would block off the egr and rebuild the oil cooler while im down there. then put the coolant filtration kit on, and see from there. He was just asking what i thought about the turbo and I am not at a point of thinking about changing mine yet not that far down the road yet. say he wanted another turbo though just for the heck of it. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM
N.S.D.Q.

A custom tuned SCT and some FICM tuning will do more than an turbo for is "issues". Not to mention be MUCH cheaper.

For a turbo I'm voting Pmax but this site is all MTW so either one will work.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 AM

A Mad Stage 1, a canned sct running the street perform tune and he shouldn't have any complaints.
The others have addressed the real issues, always start with a known good running truck or you'll magnify the possibilities of where to look and who to blame when things don't run perfect.

D
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another vote for a pmax. No surging or 'tweaking' to work out. If you buy from holderdown or PTP you get the good customer service to boot if something does break they'll probably warranty it no questions asked.

Sent from my phone
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, for the same money as a Pmax Adrian builds a better turbo and guaranteed he'll stand behind it without a problem. There is a reason MTW has the support it does.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM

I know very little about the turbos first time really looking into it I have heard of both but not sure which soups be better for his application. Just wonder how those to compare what makes one better then the other. He isn't looking to make crazy power numbers just help make the.truck a little more fun driving. He is Def. Blocking off the egr soon and getting a 4 inch turbo.back exhaust.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

MTW Stg. 1 doesn't require a custom tune like the Pmin and can run on a stock truck where a Pmin cannot without all kinds of EGT issues. I had 1 and know this first hand.

Do what you want, but don't do anything until the truck runs without problems or it will just be worse.

d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.