4" or 5" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 4" or 5"

Did a quick search and really didn't find much on here about this so here we go. What do you all think? 4" turbo back or a 5" turbo back. Either way I will be going with a no cat, no muffler straight pipe and looking to do a 4" DP. I like the idea of the 5" just cause I'm a "Go big or stay home" kind of person, but I don't want to hurt any performance or MPG's either. To date I have had the motor rebuilt with crower rods, J&E slugs, O-ringed heads, etc. I have an edge with attitude programmer on there, and I'm really just looking to do an exhaust and intake upgrade and start on drivetrain. I appreciate your thoughts, and I hope everyone and their families have a wonderfull Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What other performance mods are you going to have done?? A 4" exhaust is plenty big enough for your mods.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Chapter Director

As stated above 4" is enough to support up into the 500hp. With that said I still went 5" and love it. The sound is great and I love the look of the larger pipe its kinda intimidating to others when they see it.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

5" is all about being heard. 4" is a great balance of sound but not loud.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

I have a 4" straight pipe with a 5" tip. When I open it up, my 2006 6.0L rumbles and roars like a '72 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 (for those of you who have ever heard one). Yet at idle and regular throttle, it's much quieter and more pleasant sounding than the 5.9L or even the 6.7L Cummins. I am really happy with it, and would not want it any louder. The 5" tip is just right proportionally, in my opinion; a 6" tip is overkill aesthetically.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

4" exhaust is large enough flow for 800hp. all the tips do is change the tone of the exhaust sound and i have not found one that sounded good yet. also i have never been intimidated by some ones exhaust. Some of the dodge guys put 8" and 10" tips on there trucks it just makes me laugh And all the cops for miles can hear where they are when they get in the peddle. just my 2$

Last edited by jimmyz32; 12-26-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Chapter Director

^ yea i didn't mean intimidating to other diesel owners just some of my friends who are import drivers and people that don't know diesels. yes the 5" can be loud but normal driving and idle its pretty reasonable. my truck having a 10 blade MTW stg 1 turbo whistles it A** off at idle and light to normal acceleration, but when you get into to the throttle it is loud ill be the first to tell you but it doesn't bother me i don't get into the throttle much don't have to with tuning.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM

I have the MBRP 4" turbo back straight pipe system and it's pretty damn loud. At idle it sounds like a jet and it lets out a lot of turbo whistle. Once you hit 2200-2500 RPM area it really starts to howl. Sounds incredible at WOT. The turbo whistle is really loud and sounds great. It's hard to resist flooring it under bridges or through tunnels.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM

I like my 5", if you are considering both you will probably regret not getting the 5. Thats why I got mine
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to order the 5". I don't mind loud and would hate to have regrets down the road. As for future mods, who knows. Right now there is plenty of power for me, but opinions like that change fast. First time i get taken by a duramax I may be looking at nitrous and twin turbos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.