Sct owners.....question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sct owners.....question

Being new to diesels I have a little confusion in the area of tuners. I own a edge evo and a platinum with juice,neither of which are installed. Don't know enough to set them up so I'm running stock.

Everyone on here says buy a SCT, but I'm seeing all kinds of different match-ups. Can I just buy a SCR Livewire TS Performance tuner for $600 and be done? I've seen some people say buy the edge monitor with SF3 or buy the livewire and SF3????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

SCT Livewire TS is a Monitor and Programmer all in one. This will monitor all of your normal temps, psi, volts. it will also Program the trucks flash memory to function differently for Street, Race, Tow..blah..blah. the SCT Livewire has several "Canned tunes"(from SCT) and has space avaiable for custom tunes as well. I have also heard great things about SCT's abillity to program the transmission as part of there tuning function. saving your trans in the long run.

to answer your question.Yes you can just buy the SCT LW and be done with it. No, you will not need to buy the the SF3 with the SCT LW. if all you want are Tunes(performance programs)your cheapest option would be getting the SF3, if you want Tunes and to monitor your trucks diagnostics SCT LW. if you just want to monitor the truck then Evo. Im not telling you to buy those specific Items, just using the example you provided.

Do the math, and weight the pros and cons to both.. good luck with your decision

Last edited by redlinedsix; 12-25-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Thank you Redline! That was the exact answer I was looking for. I was going to get the Edge CTS juice w/ attitude but for $300+ cheaper I'll go to the SCT. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD319 View Post
Thank you Redline! That was the exact answer I was looking for. I was going to get the Edge CTS juice w/ attitude but for $300+ cheaper I'll go to the SCT. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Like alot of memebers on here, we are here for you..

There are alot of great write ups on modifications to enhance your monitoring abilities with the LW TS, such as a fuel pressure/egt sensor to pull the diagnostics on those as well. If you plan on getting aftermarket tunes, im sure there are some guys that can point you in the right direction for that as well. I dont have any after market tunes, so I cant speak on that.. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPD319 View Post
After I factored in the cost of my rebuilt transmission, my SCT was about $1500~$2000 less than that POS Edge Platinum.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM

I just ordered my SCT Livewire TS! It will be here the same day I get my EGR delete and blue spring install. Hope I'm smart enough to use it.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

Hook up the SCT in stock mode FIRST to monitor your ECT/EOT split. If there is a 15* or greater difference cruising down the highway at 65~70 unloaded, buy an oil cooler from Tousley Ford and change that and do the EGR delete at the same time. Trust me, it SUCKS tearing it apart TWICE to do an EGR cooler delete, THEN for an oil cooler.

Finally, don't throw the EGR valve in the trash just yet, the ECU strategy may need to see it for proper turbo VGT cycling. Wanna guess how I know that?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:00 PM

So keep my old EGR? I have no idea what you're talking about, but I will do it.

Stupid question here, but when I unplugged my Edge Evo from the truck the monitor wasn't working so I sent it back to Edge. Since it's unplugged, did it reset back to stock mode or do I need to plug the Edge back in and set it back to stock before installing the SCT?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

1. EGR delete is two parts, cooler and valve. The valve is in the intake manifold to te left of the oil cooler (as you are standing on the bumper looking in). The computer COULD need to see the vlave for proper cycling.

2. Because Brand E "intercepts" the ECU, removing it would return it to stock regardless of what power setting the Brand E was on when you removed it.

I forgot As tempting as it is, stay off the loud pedal until you are up to temperature. WFO on a cold motor can be bad joo-joo. Also, an EGT probe would be advisable to spool your turbo down to 400* or below before shut down.

Last edited by Karls03; 12-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 PM

The SCT SF3 and Edge Insight CTS is probably the most popular combo, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Livewire TS. Definitely check your coolant/oil temp delta before you do the EGR delete like was recommended. I'd also spring for fuel pressure and EGT sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.