Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Biggest injectors with a batmo

4K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  screwatts 
#1 ·
So I was at Maryland Performance Diesel tonight talking with Craig . i was trying to think up a strategy to own the local dirt drags. Craig told me I should let him do 190's and a batmo on my stock turbo. Have any of you fellas run a similar setup? Lets say heavy towing wasn't a worry. If I went with this I'd do a water meth setup. My idea was to go with 175's and a billet stage 1 mad turbo. Craig def know a hell of a lot more than me though!

#2 ·
I don't want to be a negative nancy here but Craig is full of ****. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a batmowheel for a stock turbo. The data that Craig provided only showed a nominal performance gain with 190s and for $400, your money would be way better spent somewhere else. I don't think (if you ask around) you'll find anyone who would say to ditch the cast wheel for a billet one and with 190s it will be WAY to much fuel for that turbo to even dream of cleaning up. Your original plan to go with a Stage 1 is a better option but don't go with 190s unless you are going big on the turbo. I can tell you man (as I'm sure others can too) 190s are A LOT of fuel. Also just stick with the cast Stage 1 wheel, for the money you would have into that you could just get a Hybrid. Hope this helps man.

#3 ·
That's kind of the response I was expecting

#4 ·
I wouldn't recommend a batmowheel for anything it's a joke and gives you the slightest gains in spool up at most I can't tell a difference at all on my setup and I can only assume it is less noticeable on a stock charger

#5 ·
So you have 190s and a power max , how's that working out?

#6 ·
Its hot I really need more turbo

#7 · (Edited)
Not to stir the pot, but we have a 6.0l at the shop running larger injectors than the 155cc with the stock turbo. We do have a w/m kit installed. It has dyno'd consistently at 525 hp

With that said, we have tested the batmowheel in several different turbo models in a "head to head" style for the 7.3l. There will be another wheel available to the market shortly which has proven larger boost PSI and attacks turbo lag.

http://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwheelwithfreepedestalo-rings-instock.aspx

You can ask 5 different shops how to build a 550hp 6.0l and chances are, they will have different methods to do this.

Good luck on your build!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Stock turbo is one thing paying 400 bucks for a piece of billet that makes nothing better is another

#9 ·
I had a Powermax with a Batmowheel and I do believe it moves more air than thhe cast wheel, but I don't know if it's enough to justify the price. I ran it with 175/75's and even turned down it was a hot smokey pig but my injectors weren't acting right.

An MTW Hybrid with 155/30's or 175 stock nozzle would make for a nice street setup.

Oh yeah, a Batmowheel will only fit a stock 03 turbo without machining the housing on top of the $400.

#10 ·
I completely agree with Mitch

#11 ·
Dang, my Powermax must have been a freak. It ran pretty clean, and had gobs of power. It was a little toasty on the full fuel tune, but the tow tune kept the EGT's in check for towing. I loved that setup.

#15 ·
The turbo must appear stock . Inlet may not measure more than 2.5"

#14 ·
I run the Mad Turbo Hybrid and 175's 75 and even with fuel pulled in the low end situations conditions exist to smoke out someone behind you... hills where the Tq locked and you can't go but 45 - 50 traffic speed limit etc. you just have to wallow thru it. or press tow haul or down shift.

If your just racing on a strip and EGT's and smoke aren't an issue then you can run anything you want, if the truck needs street time it limits your options.

my .02

#16 ·
But there aren't any rules about injectors lol

#18 ·
I will throw in my 2 cents,as I have a batmowheel on a stock turbo.If there is a difference I could not tell power wise,now it does seem like the intake pulls in more air and the sound of the pitch is higher for sure.MY egts may have dropped but I can't say 100 percent.I would not waste my money again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
I would say this pretty much sums up my experience too. My egt's did drop but nothing to write home about and it does seem to spool up faster, again nothing to brag about but there is a difference. I think I would have rather spent 400 bones towards a Hybrid with a billet wheel instead. But you never know until you try something, so I wouldn't say all is lost, just would have been nice not to spend $400 for the wheel.

Eric

#20 ·
Get a 68MM PowerMax with a billet wheel and 190/100% injectors. I think this would make a great combo, make a ton of power, and appear stock.

#21 ·
That's my future. Get a used powermax and send it to rcd to get it made into a 68

#23 ·
I think he could get by with a 68 MM. It has the same appearance as the PowerMax. PowerMax is hard to tell from the stocker, unless you know a good bit about the 6.0L's.

#24 ·
If anyone can get away with using a powermax, then they should also be able to get away with using a MTW Stage 3. I know this thread isn't about anything but the stock turbo and a batmowheel but there is no way I would go with a turbo that mates a gt37 series turbine wheel to a 4094 compressor wheel and relies on tuning to force the turbo to 40+psi of boost. Just my $.02.

#26 ·
Well when we ran the first Stage 3 ever it was on a tune written with progressive fueling for a stock turbo and that was where we noticed that the turbo naturally produced 44 psi of boost. Refinements in tuning were done strictly for better turbo response and spool up not peak boost. That is basically how ALL of the tuning for the Stage 3 is done. On Adrian's truck "his" version of the Stage 3 hit 50 psi of boost. I don't know what is done to make a 68mm Powermax hit 40 psi of boost, but there is no way that the turbo naturally does it.

#27 ·
I haven't experienced the 68mm pmax but I don't see why it wouldn't put up 40 psi. What makes you doubt it Nate?

#28 ·
If you win they almost always measure:(

#29 ·
It is my opinion that there are quite a bit of factors that have to fall into place for a VGT turbo to build over 40psi of boost naturally. On a non-VGT turbo, the ECM can monitor back pressure, boost/MAP, MAF, IAT and regardless of how much back pressure the ECM sees, it can't do a damn thing to keep the turbo from boosting up. BUT on a VGT turbo, the ECM can open the vanes and relieve the back pressure to keep boost and MAF all in balance and if it does that then whatever boost level the turbo is at is as high as it will go and in order to go higher, the tuner has to adjust the VGT duty cycle table to hold the vanes closed a little more to make the turbo build more boost. So far it has been observed that the Hybrid, Stage 2, and even some Stage 1 turbos (all turbos that come standard with a gt37 series turbine wheel), before the tweak, would only build mid to high 20s for boost and if that is all they will build then simply slapping on a larger compressor wheel isn't going to give you more boost. The tweaked hybrids and stage 2s appear to build low to mid 30s for boost. This is all on stock turbo tuning mind you. Even by going with a 10 bladed gt37 series turbine wheel on a Stage 2 and the tweak, the back pressure won't be minimized enough to get the turbo to naturally build 40 psi of boost. The only way to get a compressor end to give you the performance you are looking for is to properly match it to the right turbine end and that is what is done with the GT4094VA. I guess what I'm saying is that I know what the differences are between a MTW Stage 3 and a 68mm RCD Powermax, and unless the tuning is adjusted to make the turbo boost to 40psi then it will never make it there. The Stage 3 is a 68mm turbo that is built (so specific hard parts are chosen) to allow the turbo to kind of blend in with the truck so the ECM thinks everything is hunky dory and there is a stock turbo in there and naturally let's the truck blow the doors off of whatever it is going against. It just needs a little help on the bottom end because of the larger GT40 series turbine wheel and the fact that it is 10 bladed to balance out the VGT duty cycle table for better response and spool up. Hope this helps a little.

#31 ·
Alright I can understand that

#32 ·
So, Nate, what is the downside to this (referring to the turbos that require tuning)? This is new to me. I was under the assumption that all larger-than-stock turbos must be tuned to adjust for the newfound airflow, including adjusting the boost levels.

I'm asking because I am curious, I haven't been following the 6.0L game much recently. It seems I've missed a lot. :doh: That's some impressive info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.