FICM Info??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Info???

Hey forum, So i been running good with my truck, having some good fun until winter came around and problem started to show up. I been reading about cold starts and different stuff, I did a FICM test and my system volts shows 48v with the key on and after start on idle the volts go down to 32 thru 35. After warm up it goes up to 40 to 48 volts.. So im gessing thats bad?

Ok I been reading about two different FICM options
1. BDP
2. ED's at FICMrepair.com

Ok.. Which one will be he best? Taking in consideratioin the next upgrade is a new turbo mtw stage 2.

This write up is a two part.. Once I get one with my set up, pulling a 10K trailer once or twice a year I want to get a mild tune, which one you guys recomed Atlast 40 or 80???

Thank forum.. I need to stop reading about our trucks bc I have truck hypocondriack,,, if a read sysmptom about the truck I turnd around and find it on my truck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
BPD is the best option for the money BY FAR. It just depends if your wallet can handle the cost. Ed is great at what he does don't get me wrong, BUT it will never be completely fixed. BPD completely redesigned the FICM and made it failsafe. Both the 4 phase and 6 phase units are TOP NOTCH and will never let you down. So my vote goes for BPD.

Also wanted to add that the extra money spent on a NEW BPD FICM is well spent. For instance with Ed it's $190 for the basic repair and if you want their warranty and best quality parts it can be as much as $500 IIRC. With BPD's FICM's you won't need to worry about spending the extra money on a warranty. Plus for a 4 phase unit I think they are around $400 from BPD and 6 phase is I wanna say $600. I'll double check and post a link to both in a few.

Ok I just checked and BPD's 4 phase is $495 and the 6 phase is $695, either way you simply can't go wrong.

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Bul...icmupgrade.htm

Last edited by Tuscany; 12-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tuscany hit the nail on the head in regards to the power supply half of the FICM and personally I purchased the 6-phase and run it at 58v. I have run it for several months at 58v with out an issue.

To answer your question about tuning your FICM, I have regularly towed from 8k to 12k on the ATLAS40 and do not see any issues as a result of the tune.

Just recently I have swapped to the ATLAS 80. I have not personally tried to tow with it yet; however the feedback that we get from our customers states that the 80 produces high EGTs when towing.

Hope this helps to answer your question!

-Jay
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

i my php ficm programmer will be here friday and hopefully I will have a bpd ficm soon
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM

I just installed the atlas 80 couple days ago. So far very happy. Truck seems to love it. My fuel mileage is up a from high's in the 11mpg to 15.1! The EGT's are defently up and I can see they will be a issue while towing.
As money comes availible I will be getting a BPD just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Thanks Forum
Great info guys,, I will be looking into the BPD FICM, it seem the best choice.. For the tune I think I need to find more information.. I really need the truck ready for the new turbo.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerRican View Post
Thanks Forum
For the tune I think I need to find more information.. I really need the truck ready for the new turbo.
For more information on tuning you can look on our website. It contains some great information about FICM tuning and the benifits as a result. Any forum will be the best place to get user feedback. I know when I am in the market for something, user reviews are 75% of making the sale.
Power Hungry Performance - FICM Reprogramming

What kind of turbo are you looking to go with?

I am hesitant to say this next bit, as I am not 100% but 98% confident.. The first thing to consider when adding a larger turbo (after injectors of coarse) is going to be your PCM / ECM tuning. The FICM tuning will act as a supplement to that. Not the other way around.

If you come up with any questions just PM me for the quickest response!

-Jay
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know everyone has great results with Ed, but I was looking around and there are other places for cheaper with lifetime warranties. Idk what exactly Ed does vs what that others do or don't do. But $ 190 to solder a joint seems kinda steep to me... Hopefully someone knows more about what is involved
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Hunt View Post
I know everyone has great results with Ed, but I was looking around and there are other places for cheaper with lifetime warranties. Idk what exactly Ed does vs what that others do or don't do. But $ 190 to solder a joint seems kinda steep to me... Hopefully someone knows more about what is involved
This is why I said if you do his repair with full warranty it's around $500 and you could still end up with a bad FICM (Will it happen? I don't know possibly as it is still an OEM unit but more unlikely to happen.) and if your gonna spend $500 for a repaired OEM unit with full warranty then why not get a brand new BPD 4 Phase FICM that will last a lifetime and is completely redesigned with better parts compared to the OEM one.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
This is why I said if you do his repair with full warranty it's around $500 and you could still end up with a bad FICM (Will it happen? I don't know possibly as it is still an OEM unit but more unlikely to happen.) and if your gonna spend $500 for a repaired OEM unit with full warranty then why not get a brand new BPD 4 Phase FICM that will last a lifetime and is completely redesigned with better parts compared to the OEM one.
What's his full repair compared to some of these other ficm repairers? I agree with you on going BPD if you got the cash but what if you don't? Whats Eds cheapest repair consist of vs others who do it for cheaper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.