Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wich converter?

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  TooMuch03 
#1 ·
Trannys going out on me so I need some advice on wich converter to go with. I already have studs egr all that. So might as well build it up n throw lil more power to it let Me know what u guys think? And personal experience would be great Thx in advance

#4 ·
Talk to Jared at RCD. They worked with Brian at BTS and developed a really nice converter from the sounds of it. It was built by Precision Industries. This is what i'll be going with when the time comes.

#7 ·
Thx to all who gave input ill be get prices on all the internals soon in mean time ill be researching all these so I can make a decision I herd a lot of good about the rcd ultimate butwill look into all of them

#8 ·
Is Suncoast not popular for the Fords? Just curious because it definitley seems more people use other companies when it comes to trans parts. I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with my trans but I have nothing to compare it to. Its feels strong gets the job done I guess I'm pretty happy.

I know the dodge and chevy guys are ape sh*t over Suncoast parts like they're the greaest thing since sliced bread.

#10 ·
It has! Its been rebuilt once actually. I wish I would have known.

#11 ·
RCD has an upgraded 6.4 converter that they offer. Not sure about the specs or differences between the 6.0's and 6.4's but if the 6.4's is built to handle more power than why not buy the adapter kit from RCD and run a billet 6.4 converter? Just a thought.

#12 ·
I noticed nobody said anything about stall speeds? That's a very important consideration in a torque converter. I don't have the need for a bigger/better/faster converter in my 6.0, so I have no real world suggestions, but in my hot rods, stall speed is a very high consideration.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

#13 ·
yes stall speed makes a difference, but i believe RCD has better results by going with around stock stall or a bit lower...i think 1600-1800 stall.

#14 ·
Yeah how do u figure what stall u need idk how all that works ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#15 ·
Unless I am mistaken, a lower stall speed will put a load on the engine sooner which ultimately means it will start making boost sooner. I just got a reman converter when I had to get a tranny. Between EGR cooler delete and an SCT, my throttle response is pretty good.

#16 ·
A guy local to me has a Suncoast with about 10k on it that he took out of his personal truck before selling it. Local mod shop owner. I don't know the exact stall but he calls it a "tighter" one, said that Suncoast has since started building them a little looser i.e. higher stall. I think us diesel guys would want the lower stall to load the engine quicker. The cabs off my truck right now and I could pick up this suncoast for $600, what do you guys think?

#17 ·
As Mitch stated already Suncoast does not have a good reliability record with Ford trannys. I personally have three friends with Suncoast built 5R110's and all three of them have had it go out again! Not trying to scare you away but giving you honest facts. $600 wouldn't buy a good torque converter for a 5R110, so that's a really cheap price on a whole trans. If you trust this guy and his word that nothing is wrong with it and it IS infact a Suncoast then I would say go on and get it. It will still be an upgrade from stock. Just don't be terribly surprised if it takes a dump on you down the road.

#18 ·
Thanks for the input dirty, I wasn't real clear but I'm talking just the converter not the whole trans. I was thinking it would be a good choice considering the mods in my sig. Do you think the suncoast converter is worth having for now, and then I'll go somewhere else if I have to do the whole trans down the road?

#19 ·
honestly i wouldn't go suncoast with the converter either. Many people haven't had good luck with suncoast's converters aslo.

#20 ·
Thanks again guys, I guess a good buy isn't always the right way to go.

#21 ·
I wish I would have done more research when before spending the money I did on mine.

#22 ·
My suncoast torque converter took a beating and held up just fine.

IMHO stall speed us horrible way to measure how tight a torque converter is because the stall speed is a function of the torque curve of the engine and the construction of the converter. The stock converter may be around 1800 rpm stall speed on a stock motor. Add some HP and torque and your stall speed probably increases a bunch even though it is the same exact converter. A tighter converted will have lower stall speed than a looser converter, on the same engine. Tighter converters are also more efficient. A looser converter will allow a laggy Turbo more time to spool.

Sent from my Vortex using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#23 ·
Stall speed isn't the only consideration, but if I were shopping for a 5R110 converter, I would make sure it was a 1500 stall not a 2500 stall. Agreed it's not everything, but it shouldn't be ignored either.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone

#24 ·
i wouldn't go as low 1500

#25 ·
It was a random number I pulled out of my butt to illustrate my point. :dunno:

#26 ·
The rated Stall Speed is little more than just a random number anyway. Just because the converter you buy says it is a 1800 rpm stall or whatever, doesn't mean it will actually stall at 1800 rpm. More than likely it does not. If you have modified your motor at all, it is probably actually higher than 1800 rpm. The only way to know what the converter actually stalls at on your specific truck is to test it, which is pretty much impossible if you don't have a trans brake. I can't think of anyone who has one on a 6.0.

Generally, when selecting a converter you want one that stalls about 500-700 rpm below the peak torque rpm. So if your peak torque is around 2200 rpm, then you would want a converter that has an actually stall, not rated stall, at 1500-1700 rpm, so slightly tighter than stock, maybe alot tighter than stock if your motor makes a lot more torque than stock. I can't see any reason, even if you race or pull a lot, to have a stall speed any higher than stock, unless you need the higher stall to allow a slower spooling nonVGT to spool up on the street. JMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.