Noob needing some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob needing some advice

Hi guys. I know there are probably a ton of posts on every one of my issues/ questions. I apologize in advance for the questions. Just so you'll know how to answer...I'm interested in a fair/good amount of power(without going overboard) and fuel economy.

To start off, I just purchased a 2005 F350 FX4, 6.0, with 95000. It had a K&N filter and a Edge Evo installed. I immediately had an oil change done which i used Motorcraft filters installed(including fuel filters) and Rotella T oil. It also appears to have had Rancho shocks installed(not aware of part number) Other than that, it was stock. Yesterday I had the exhaust straight piped. I lost a ton of power after the exhaust was done, but it sounded awesome.

Today I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected and let the truck idle for 25 minutes. The power was back, but I lost my whistle.

The Edge has been taken out of the truck(same time as the battery disconnect). Don't like the way it shifts. Seems too harsh for my liking.

Questions:
1. Bewteen these three, which tuner would be best suited for my truck? Total cost of each set up(if any dealers on here want to offer or someone is selling)?
Edge Platinum juice with attitude
Edge CTS with attitude
SCT Live Wire
Keep in mind I have NO IDEA what i'm doing with a diesel, nor do I know exactly what to buy(what is included/excluded when buying a tuner set-up)

2. I want a taller/more even stance and I would like to run at least 315's on stock wheels..Any recommendations on lift kits/leveling kits? I'm leaning towards a Readylift 2.5 leveling kit with shock extenders. Thoughts?

3. Truck leaning to drivers side. Not sure how or when this happened, but i just noticed today that the driver's side is leaning both front and back(more in the back). Fixes for this problem? Will a lift or leveling kit fix this or will I have to do something else to remedy the problem?

4. I have a one drop a night oil drip. I'm assuming it's oil. All I can tell is that it's settling on the bottom of the tranny, but its oil covered all the way up the seem where the engine and tranny meet.

EGR delete, turbo cleaning and blue spring install is coming soon.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I hope I have posted this in the appropriate section. I tried to include all information I could think of incase I'm overlooking something needing done or something I'm doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you over welmed everybody with so many questions. Try to ask just 1 question per post if u can. Might get more bites.
I will say on the tuner question that if you use the "search" function you'll have hours of info on there for ya!
Oh ya and welcome to the boards
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 AM

Yeah, I might have asked a few too many questions. I'm the guy that always trys to carry everything in one load, instead of several smaller loads and I always end up losing a couple things along the way....

Thanks for the response and the welcome!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 AM

Couple answers anyway. First go with an sct tuner, probably not a livewire though, i got one and it doesnt read a whole lot and its huge! I would get one of the handheld tuners like a SF3 and get a edge cts for the gauges, if I were to do it again! Then get custom tunes from one of the major tuners the search function will bring up all the info you will ever need for tunes. Plus they can do trans tuning along with engine tuning.

As far as a leveling kit, they are all pretty much the same. But Trevor (NotStock) at PMF sells some sweet kits you could look into. pmfsuspension.com!

The lean is common on these trucks for some reason, Ford has a TSB or something out for it. Other than that not much more I can tell you about it.

Finally the oil leak is probably coming from above the trans somewhere, turbo oil drain or hpop cover, it would probably be best to clean it off the best you can and run it and try to see where its coming from. Oil will not travel up or front so if you can find the highest furthest forward point of it is most likey where its coming from.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with this I have the livewire and ended up getting the edge cts because the livewire is big and doesnt read much. Also I would start by cleaning the oil from then you can start to look for where the leak is coming from.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
X2- on the Sct tuner and Edge insight for monitoring its the best bang for the buck. There is a VERY good chance the oil drip is coming from a leaky Bed Plate seal. Very common on these trucks i just had mine fixed when doing studs due to the fact you have to pull the engine to repair it. Some people just dont worry about it. If its bad enough i would get it fixed. One drop a night wouldnt constitute as bad enough IMO
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Idk what live wire you guys have but i have the Livewire TS and its smaller then my iphone and it reads everything you need to see. Got mine for innovative diesel along with erics tunes. Love it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:29 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't want to dismiss anything great about the livewire monitor/tuner, but I truely believe that for me and my truck, I'll keep the tuning and monitoring duties separate especially for the money.

So far my current setup is an SCT SF3 and Edge CTS with a bunch of stuff expanded off of it and I like it. However though, I am currently installing some stand alone gauges only for important parameters like fuel pressure, boost pressure, EGTs, and low pressure oil pressure. I also think that I will be looking into a Dashboss system here in the future as well to see what they have to offer. I think when it is all said and done, there isn't really one end all be all setup. If the livewire suits you, then great. Just giving my advice from having already used different tuners and monitors/gauges. ONLY use SCT for tunes, especially if you plan to go with larger injectors.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I don't want to dismiss anything great about the livewire monitor/tuner, but I truely believe that for me and my truck, I'll keep the tuning and monitoring duties separate especially for the money.

So far my current setup is an SCT SF3 and Edge CTS with a bunch of stuff expanded off of it and I like it. However though, I am currently installing some stand alone gauges only for important parameters like fuel pressure, boost pressure, EGTs, and low pressure oil pressure. I also think that I will be looking into a Dashboss system here in the future as well to see what they have to offer. I think when it is all said and done, there isn't really one end all be all setup. If the livewire suits you, then great. Just giving my advice from having already used different tuners and monitors/gauges. ONLY use SCT for tunes, especially if you plan to go with larger injectors.
I have delt with a lot fof tuning, monitoring and gauges with gas vehicles. But with out trucks you cant beat the Livewire TS IMO. Especially for the money. cost me just over $700 for the livewire TS, egt probe and tunes. Thats a fraction of the cost of any other handheld tuner and a full set of gauges. But again just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Haven't used the Livewire TS, I know its smaller though, but the old Livewire is about 6-7 inches long 3 inches tall and about an inch thick, so it takes up alot of room on the windshield. My stays in the glovebox now till i need to tune the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.