Who is running a S362 - S366 Turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who is running a S362 - S366 Turbo

I was thinking of getting a s364 is turbo to run with 175/30, 175/75 or maybe 190/75 sticks. Any info from those of you running something similar would be greatly appreciated. I've seen other posts here and at other sites (Windrunner406, Strokin6l, PizzaPig and others, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of projects like these or self-built on-line.

Your comments on successes, failures and things you would do differently if you had to do it again would be greatly appreciated.

Rather than buy parts, I have no problem fabricating as I go. Does anyone have the dimensions for the pedestal and, what changes to the up-pipe dimensions need to be made to make it come together?

I am not building a race truck, just fun DD with a solid tow capability. Tentative build date some time in April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

subscribed
Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talk with Craig at Maryland performance diesel. He'll tell you everything you need to know. Greg"pizza pig" runs a 366 with 205/150's I believe, but don't know if he can tow or not.

The big thing with the nonvgts is setting the turbine side up, used too it was t3 now it seems the t4 is taking shape as the front runner. I run a .91 divided t4 364 on my 24v but have a 485 to clean up the rest.

And setting up the stall on the converter is crucial as well when going with a single.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Whatever questions you have just ask. Its not exactly something where you get measurements and go along, you really need a mockup motor if you're going to do the fab work yourself, or at least have your motor out of the truck.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

I sold my spare engine last month. It would have been nice to have it around for test fitting. I really don't want to remove the engine or lift the cab, but I might have to. Of course, I could just cave in and go with a Powermax, that is still an option.

The other problem I face is location. Living in Manitoba has its challenges wrt availability of a parts and knowledge base. There are no diesel modification companies close by, nor available parts to fab into new pieces. Also, I don't want to get into swapping out too many turbocharger parts to make it work. I plan on keeping a set of OEM parts intact (injectors, turbo, exhaust, etc) just in the event I get frustrated and want to go back to stock. In a perfect world, I would get the turbo dimensions nailed down as close as possible before buying it. That's why I asked my initial question. What worked and what didn't. No use inventing the wheel all over again!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

What do you use your truck for? What elevation are you at? In all honesty you can buy a setup cheaper than it would be than building yourself. Buy it, install it, no worries about fabbing, wasting the time, trucks down time etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Elevation 800'
The truck is used to pull my 4 horse trailer, my large flat deck (hay or skid-steer), or my wakeboat.

Down-time is no big deal, but this is the only vehicle that can tow heavy.

I can do the math for the turbo calculations, but sometimes the assumed numbers are not really that accurate.

I don't think I am being unrealistic to bring the turbo side of this together for around $1K. I don't see any show-stoppers with any of the parts I will need to make or modify.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM

thats about the elevation Im at and the non vgt works well here. Since its used to tow, I would stick to a more conservative setup. the 62-64mm compressor range. Turbine side i'd stick to the 68mm turbine wheel, exhaust housing will vary depending what setup you want to run. I recommend the t4 flange setup with divided up pipes, and the .83 housing. This setup runs very well towing and for performance. Pair it with the right injector and you will be very happy with good tuning. Maryland performance diesel and Cutting Edge diesel both offer similar variations that will save you the effort of having to fabricate stuff yourself, and its all bolt on. a 62/68/83 is going to run you around $1200 US no matter where you source it. Divided up pipes are going to run 550-850, feed and drains around $150 total. its going to cost you more than you think to do this route. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, I've built a few of these setups for local people.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
thats about the elevation Im at and the non vgt works well here. Since its used to tow, I would stick to a more conservative setup. the 62-64mm compressor range. Turbine side i'd stick to the 68mm turbine wheel, exhaust housing will vary depending what setup you want to run. I recommend the t4 flange setup with divided up pipes, and the .83 housing. This setup runs very well towing and for performance. Pair it with the right injector and you will be very happy with good tuning. Maryland performance diesel and Cutting Edge diesel both offer similar variations that will save you the effort of having to fabricate stuff yourself, and its all bolt on. a 62/68/83 is going to run you around $1200 US no matter where you source it. Divided up pipes are going to run 550-850, feed and drains around $150 total. its going to cost you more than you think to do this route. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, I've built a few of these setups for local people.
nice one pizza to the point and very descriptive! I was thinking about non vgt with me 210/100s but didn't do it!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

That's pretty well what I am thinking, but I was just looking for someone that had already done this. My biggest concerns are turbo lag and EGTs. If we compare, let's say a 362 with a performance tune, on a stock truck, to a stock turbo with a performance tune, is the lag worse, the same or better and at what RPM does it pull away? Now add 175/30 or 75s and it should lower the RPM needed to achieve significantly more torque and HP at the same RPM stock with tune. But was the cost for performance worth it?

Buying the parts is certainly easier, but tigging pipes and building a pedestal is easy for me; it becomes part of the adventure. I have also sourced a few new turbos for about $700 (not that a good used one with new bushings wouldn't be like new). I just need to pull the trigger before they disappear.

In 2008 I had thought about tuning software, but elected against it based on what a custom tune would cost and the experience of the tuner. The boys and girls have certainly got a lot better with performance and reliability. However, if you go down a different path, maybe this should be considered. I don't know if they are locking their tunes to view or alter, but unless you have access, a live tune tweak would be hard to do. What would really be nice to have is the tuning fuel tables and timing advances dumped for our engines and the turbo parameters. These seem to played pretty close to the chest compared to a number of other engines/car/truck set-ups. Not that everyone should be jumping in to tweak their rides.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 12-10-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo or 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.