Tow tune.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow tune..

Hi all, question about towing my Montana 5er from ND to CA tomorrow. Should I be running stock? I have Vivian's tow tune but remember someone saying don't tow more than 10k with any tune. Any advise? Trailer is big with 4 slides. I think the weight is around 14k. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM

I tow up to 12k with Viv's Tow, and use her Tow Agressive under 10k.
Anything more than 12k, I use IDP's trans only tune.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It is safer and reccomended by Vivian to not tow over 8k on that tune that being said as long as you monitor your temps and egt's and dont hammer it you should be fine. The tranny only tune works well and you dont run the risk of breaking something.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have her tow tune( non aggressive) and have been fine ,5th weighs 13k.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
The Silent Service

Pulling 14K over the Rockies, I'd put the truck back to stock vise running any performance based (additional fueling) towing file. A lot can go wrong on those grades, and without knowing your truck, I'd fail conservative.

If you've pulled with your truck on those grades, and have studs installed, you may choose to pull tuned. For me, I find running stock is better on the truck stock pulling at altitude.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Pulling 14K over the Rockies, I'd put the truck back to stock vise running any performance based (additional fueling) towing file. A lot can go wrong on those grades, and without knowing your truck, I'd fail conservative.

If you've pulled with your truck on those grades, and have studs installed, you may choose to pull tuned. For me, I find running stock is better on the truck stock pulling at altitude.

Cool thanks guys. I'm not going to be doing any grades though. Going down through Utah. Made the trip many times just not with the 5er. I'll run it stock. Only mods I have so far is the 4" turbo back. And I just changed oil 2 days ago with T6.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM

I was a little depressed to find that the more weight you tow the less power you should use..... I thought a tuner would make up the difference between these trucks and the new ones for towing. Oh well, it still pulls alot better than my F150 did.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Better than my 07 silverado 1500 5.3. POS

Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I was a little depressed to find that the more weight you tow the less power you should use..... I thought a tuner would make up the difference between these trucks and the new ones for towing. Oh well, it still pulls alot better than my F150 did.
Look at the engine specs for the new 6.7L Powerstrokes in the F450/550 Cab&Chassis. Its 300HP, and 660 FT-LBS (same 6.7L Diesel, different programming), reason for this is all the heat and cylinder pressures created when towing heavy. (The F550 is rated to 35K GCWR)

You can't expect a 6.0L Diesel, or the 6.4L or 6.7L to have all that power and no way to dissipate all the heat and gasses being produced under those loads like a 15L commercial semi. I made a few comparisons throughout the ORG on my reasoning to limit the towing HP on the 6.0L based on its displacement, airflow, and head bolt configuration. This trucks can be great hot-rods, but that is a whole different powerband than what is needed for pulling.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Look at the engine specs for the new 6.7L Powerstrokes in the F450/550 Cab&Chassis. Its 300HP, and 660 FT-LBS (same 6.7L Diesel, different programming), reason for this is all the heat and cylinder pressures created when towing heavy. (The F550 is rated to 35K GCWR)

You can't expect a 6.0L Diesel, or the 6.4L or 6.7L to have all that power and no way to dissipate all the heat and gasses being produced under those loads like a 15L commercial semi. I made a few comparisons throughout the ORG on my reasoning to limit the towing HP on the 6.0L based on its displacement, airflow, and head bolt configuration. This trucks can be great hot-rods, but that is a whole different powerband than what is needed for pulling.
Great way of looking at it and explaining it.

What are your thoughts on water/meth for towing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.