Tow tune.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Frankf250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LA county
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow tune..

Hi all, question about towing my Montana 5er from ND to CA tomorrow. Should I be running stock? I have Vivian's tow tune but remember someone saying don't tow more than 10k with any tune. Any advise? Trailer is big with 4 slides. I think the weight is around 14k. Thanks guys



Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Frankf250 is offline  
post #2 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I win....
 
cRaZy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 1,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I tow up to 12k with Viv's Tow, and use her Tow Agressive under 10k.
Anything more than 12k, I use IDP's trans only tune.

S362 68/.91
Irate SS T4
Holders 175/30
BPD FICM
BPD Cooler
BPD WP
ARP
Yukon Locker
4.30's
NL CAI
Rudy's Intake elbow
Mishimoto Rad. & IC pipes
EGR Del.
Edge CTS2
SCT X3
FICM Tune
Jugger Pump w/DIY RR
Fuel PSI Gauge
35x18's
Bilstein 2.5"
Trac. Bars
DC Power
Powerstops

USCG 50GT MMC
Yamaha Outboard Master Tech
cRaZy8 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Premium Member




 
nordstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It is safer and reccomended by Vivian to not tow over 8k on that tune that being said as long as you monitor your temps and egt's and dont hammer it you should be fine. The tranny only tune works well and you dont run the risk of breaking something.


2006 F350, Holders Ported Intake, ARP Studs, Factory Turbo w/MTW Billet Wheel, Edge Insight, Atlas 40 FICM Tune, Stock Sticks, BPD Ficm 53V, BPD EGR Cooler, BPD Remote Oil Cooler W/ cold weather pkg, BPD Water Pump, Blue Spring Upgrade, S&B Cold Air Intake, CCV Relocate, 64K miles and counting
nordstrom is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Motor Head.
 
robertc68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thanks: 45
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have her tow tune( non aggressive) and have been fine ,5th weighs 13k.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

04 350 DRW CC LB,4:10,245/75/17,tires 4X4.MBRP Duals.Coolant filter. CTS.Stage II AFE.EGR Delete,Zoodad ,regulated return, ,Arp,OemHG,AD150,WPE ported int,58FICM,190/30 Injec,05 coil conversion.WPE/KC 1.5 turbo,2011 rear leafs,13 tailgate,flight fab trac bars.2014 Power/folding/Extend mirrors.



To do list,
6.4 starter
robertc68 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
The Silent Service

 
colo_dually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling 14K over the Rockies, I'd put the truck back to stock vise running any performance based (additional fueling) towing file. A lot can go wrong on those grades, and without knowing your truck, I'd fail conservative.

If you've pulled with your truck on those grades, and have studs installed, you may choose to pull tuned. For me, I find running stock is better on the truck stock pulling at altitude.
colo_dually is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Frankf250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LA county
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Pulling 14K over the Rockies, I'd put the truck back to stock vise running any performance based (additional fueling) towing file. A lot can go wrong on those grades, and without knowing your truck, I'd fail conservative.

If you've pulled with your truck on those grades, and have studs installed, you may choose to pull tuned. For me, I find running stock is better on the truck stock pulling at altitude.

Cool thanks guys. I'm not going to be doing any grades though. Going down through Utah. Made the trip many times just not with the 5er. I'll run it stock. Only mods I have so far is the 4" turbo back. And I just changed oil 2 days ago with T6.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Frankf250 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Member
 
frdbronco8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was a little depressed to find that the more weight you tow the less power you should use..... I thought a tuner would make up the difference between these trucks and the new ones for towing. Oh well, it still pulls alot better than my F150 did.
frdbronco8 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Frankf250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LA county
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better than my 07 silverado 1500 5.3. POS


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Frankf250 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
The Silent Service

 
colo_dually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,313
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I was a little depressed to find that the more weight you tow the less power you should use..... I thought a tuner would make up the difference between these trucks and the new ones for towing. Oh well, it still pulls alot better than my F150 did.
Look at the engine specs for the new 6.7L Powerstrokes in the F450/550 Cab&Chassis. Its 300HP, and 660 FT-LBS (same 6.7L Diesel, different programming), reason for this is all the heat and cylinder pressures created when towing heavy. (The F550 is rated to 35K GCWR)

You can't expect a 6.0L Diesel, or the 6.4L or 6.7L to have all that power and no way to dissipate all the heat and gasses being produced under those loads like a 15L commercial semi. I made a few comparisons throughout the ORG on my reasoning to limit the towing HP on the 6.0L based on its displacement, airflow, and head bolt configuration. This trucks can be great hot-rods, but that is a whole different powerband than what is needed for pulling.
colo_dually is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Look at the engine specs for the new 6.7L Powerstrokes in the F450/550 Cab&Chassis. Its 300HP, and 660 FT-LBS (same 6.7L Diesel, different programming), reason for this is all the heat and cylinder pressures created when towing heavy. (The F550 is rated to 35K GCWR)

You can't expect a 6.0L Diesel, or the 6.4L or 6.7L to have all that power and no way to dissipate all the heat and gasses being produced under those loads like a 15L commercial semi. I made a few comparisons throughout the ORG on my reasoning to limit the towing HP on the 6.0L based on its displacement, airflow, and head bolt configuration. This trucks can be great hot-rods, but that is a whole different powerband than what is needed for pulling.
Great way of looking at it and explaining it.

What are your thoughts on water/meth for towing?

Ron
Ron-M is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome