Bullet Proofing my 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bullet Proofing my 6.0L

Hey guys, so ive read the Bullet proofing Sticky and numerous other threads. But i wanted to make a post to cover a few questions i have.

Ill start off with a little back ground of my self and the vehicle.

The Truck:
2005 Ford F250 All stock, except for 4" lift, and 35" Toyo MT's.
5r110 Trans
148,000 Miles
Pushing coolant under heavy load.
I purchased the truck ~2 weeks ago.

Me:
CNC Machinist for 6 years, Ive been working on cars since i was 10, i personally built and blue printed a turbo charged subaru race motor that makes ~450whp.
This is the first diesel that ive ever owned, or worked on for that matter.

My Plans for the Truck:
Use it to tow a 9,000lb excavator from time to time, but for the most part daily driver to and from work (50 miles round trip). Im currently averaging ~13.2 MPG. Id like to get better (duh) I was hoping for 15-16 average. Any tips on getting some better mpg?

Questions
#1: Is a kit like this worth the money? MKM Complete Master Solution Kit for 6.0L Powerstroke (Sinister EGR Delete, ARP Studs, Gaskets, Oil Cooler)
I want to do this job right the first time, but i dont want to waste money on a kit if i can piece it together cheaper.
Heres what i have so far.
OEM head gaskets $340
Xtreme Diesel Performance EGR Delete $209
ARP Head Studs $429
OEM Oil Cooler $309
I havent got prices on the rest of the gaskets i will need.

#2: What else needs attention due the the mileage of my truck while im in there?

#3: I plan to buy a scangauge II and an SCT Tuner. What else do i really need?

Thanks for your guys time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

youve got a good head start. instead of the SCT and Scangauge,buy the SCT Livewire TS. its a monitor and programmer in one. make sure to get the EGT probe with it. love mine. there are a couple guys here that can tell you a special adapter from Snap-on (i think) that will make the head studs easier. i would go ahead and do the blue spring update (its behind plate on the front of the fuel filter housing thats under the hood), and probably the stand pipes, dummy plugs, updated turbo drain, and the Banjo bolts from the 6.4 for the fuel lines on the front of the heads.. thats all i can remember right now. everyone else will chime on the rest

if i were you, i would ditch the stock oil cooler and do the Bullet proof Diesel Oil Cooler Relocation kit if you have the extra cash. on a cool night i see 178-180 degree coolant temps and around 155-160 degree oil temps cruising at 70. its an excellent kit, plus keeping your oil AWAY from any coolant. if not, do the better cooler from Bulletproof. thats your call though. if you go with the stock oil cooler, get rid of the ford coolant for Rotella ELC or Cat ELC (i think there are a couple others).

i dont know much about that kit. may be cheaper to get your parts separate. i know XDP's EGR delete is cheaper than Sinisters, and its the same thing.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 12-05-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I will second the recommendation to get the BPD oil cooler if you can afford it right now. If no, just get a new OEM oil cooler. I would add to your list a coolant filter. It should help prolong the life of your OEM oil Cooler. Before you change the oil cooler, I recommend you do a chemical flush, I think there are a couple threads with the procedure, and switch to CAT EC-1 rated ELC. I personally like the scangauge and SCT combo,, it is cheap, effective, and doesn't look like a GPS to temp people into smashing your windows. If you want something a little more sophisticated for a monitor, look at the Edge Insight, either CS or CTS. The Insight, scangauge, and livewire all read engine parameters from the OBD II port under the dash. Unfortunately, there are a couple pretty important values that cannot be read through the OBD II. These are Fuel pressure and Exhaust Gas Temperature. These can be monitored with aftermarket gauges or by adding sensors to your Insight or Livewire. I like the combination of the scangauge with a couple of autometer or ISSPro gauges.

Other parts you should take care of while you have it torn apart are updates stand pipes and dummy plugs, updated STC fitting and turbo drain, and Blue Fuel Pressure regulator spring.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Another vote for the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler, and they also have everything else you may or may not need to get your truck where you want it. Highly encourage you to give them a call and discuss your goals with them. They won't steer you in the wrong direction.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
youll need dummy plugs stand pipes stc fitting (i recommend turbo drain tuibe) new injector o rings
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i have used 2 of these egr delete kits. they are high quality and cheapest i could find besides the knock off stuff on ebay.
EGR Delete Kit | Ford EGR Delete Kits | 6.0 EGR Delete Kit
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM

I like the scangaugeII its small and can be somewhat hidden.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Another vote for the BPD oil cooler. If there were any way I could afford one that's what I would have but I had to settle for the OEM from Ford. The BPD is still on my want list though.

k
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The BPD oil cooler defiantly isnt in the budget right now. ($2200...) Is it made out of gold? haha

Anyway, thanks everybody for the info so far. I plan to do a coolant filter kit.

i have another question though.
It does seem that the kits are a little cheaper than buying everything individuality.
6.0*Full*Solution for Powerstroke 6.0L*(EGR Delete, Studs,*All Gaskets, & Oil Cooler)
Im looking at this kit, but aftermarket gaskets and orings always concern me. Sometimes there a down grade instead of an upgrade.

I know im going with OEM head gaskets, but im not sure on the rest. The kit above comes with aftermarket intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, injector orings, etc.

I dont want to save a few hundred bucks just to have to do it all over again because a $3 oring broke or was inadequate.
So in what areas are the oem gaskets the best?
Is there any areas that the oem gaskets fall short and should be replaced with an aftermarket counterpart?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't use Black Onyx head gaskets either. They don't have a great track record. At my techs recommendation, I stayed with OEM gaskets everywhere.

k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.