AIRDOG 2 NO LONGER!! - Page 4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Don't you worry about it

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So if I dont plan on doing any further mods to my truck there is no point in paying extra for the adjustability of the AD2 when a AD150 would work fine? Sorry to derail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
Aeromotive*|*16306 - Billet Fuel Pump Speed Controller

It says in big bold print NOT to drop the voltage to the pump to slow it down because it will smoke the pump. I wonder if this is why the AD2 pumps are failing.

BTW, since I'm learning this as I go, what would happen if the Aeromotive 1000 (or similar pump) were installed without this box? I realize this works like a dimmer switch on a light bulb, but would there be catastrophic results if it weren't used? Isn't the purpose of a bypass regulator to return excess fuel and pressure back to the tank?

After listening to my Holley Blue groan over the years in my '67 Mustang, this electronic piece sounds pretty good for a dead head system, but we use a return system.
Karl, the Aeromotive controller doesn't work like a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch does increase resistance thereby lowering voltage and the light dims. The Aeromotive controller works on pulse width modulation. It continues to supply full voltage when allowing the voltage to pass. So it is voltage on, voltage off, voltage on, etc. The length of the off pulse determines the speed of the pump.

The Fuelab is a two speed and has a post to monitor the desired speed. If that post is taken to grnd it runs at reduced speed. If it see's more than 5v on that post it kicks it to high speed. That is why I intend to use the output from the throttle position sensor to trigger the pump speed.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
My question is this would a airdog 2 benefit from a low pressure high volume feeding it? Or is this issue a inferior part in the airdog 2 causing problems!
From what I have gathered Dale, the Airdog 2 is just a sh!tty pump design. Folks have tried improving the suction side supply with sumps and this pump is "suppose" to be able to pull/lift fuel out of the tank with no other pump being necessary to supply it fuel OR have its suction lower than the bottom edge of the tank and yet it still fails.

Pumps like the Fuelab and A1000 do not suck fuel on their own. They require either a lift pump or be mounted lower than the bottom edge of the fuel tank. Now there are quite a few guys out there who run a sump feeding a stand alone A1000 or Fuelab just fine and seem to have it hold up just fine, but just know that the factory recommends that they have either a lift pump or be mounted lower than the bottom of the tank and use a sump.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

Ok, dimmer switch was bad analogy. The Aeromotive page was pretty straight forward about keeping 12V to the pump. Hence the question of whether this would hepl the failure prone AD2 pump.

However, would it hurt an A1000 pump if it were run in a return system WITHOUT this piece? Isn't that the purpose of the of a return system?

Again, I'm not too hot on electrical stuff.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

all of a sudden my dinosaur FASS unit doesn't sound so bad....
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
So if I dont plan on doing any further mods to my truck there is no point in paying extra for the adjustability of the AD2 when a AD150 would work fine? Sorry to derail
Probably not. 150 should work fine.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Do you think it will be better quality?
Haven't had the chance to test one yet but its not a gerotor pump and its also brushless so in theory yes, its also a flow though pump that uses the fuel to cool it.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
From what I have gathered Dale, the Airdog 2 is just a sh!tty pump design. Folks have tried improving the suction side supply with sumps and this pump is "suppose" to be able to pull/lift fuel out of the tank with no other pump being necessary to supply it fuel OR have its suction lower than the bottom edge of the tank and yet it still fails.

Pumps like the Fuelab and A1000 do not suck fuel on their own. They require either a lift pump or be mounted lower than the bottom edge of the fuel tank. Now there are quite a few guys out there who run a sump feeding a stand alone A1000 or Fuelab just fine and seem to have it hold up just fine, but just know that the factory recommends that they have either a lift pump or be mounted lower than the bottom of the tank and use a sump.

They are designed to pull fuel at a specific pressure, its not very much though which is why they're best used with a sump. There is absolutely no need to run a pusher pump with these, either company will tell you just that on the phone. Does it hurt to run one, no wasy it does not.

An aeromotive or fuelab pump NEEDS a regulator, you will burn the pump up running out full speed/duty cycle of the pump without a regulator. It will fry the pump in a very short amount of time.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1111 View Post
My 165 failed recently. We had run a very nice 10ga wiring loom to it, and checked voltage drop at less than .5v. It's what I do for a living, automotive electronics, so I am sure there was no lack of voltage to the motor. Not sumped all it's life, but for the last month or so. This pump motor has about 7k miles on it. Note how one of the brushes is worn almost completely away, then cut thru the brush lead and failed.

To Pureflows' credit, although they weren't very friendly on the phone, they let me send in a proof of purchase (I hadn't filled out registration card) and they sent me a new pump assy with no questions asked. They tech on the phone (Josh maybe?) would not really admit to a problem with their motors, but did state that I would not have a problem with the new one.

So far it is much quieter with the new motor. I am gathering the parts to run a bosch pump from an obs truck as my high pressure pump though, and use the 165 as a low press pump.
What are the brushes doing in these pumps and where ate they in the pic? Not an electrical expert and trying to learn about these pumps
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm in the process of trying to decide between the fuelab and the aeromotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.