Shift Flare depending on the tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Shift Flare depending on the tune

I've been having trouble with the 3-5 shift since I've had the truck and I still can't figure it out.

Recently I bought IDP's Xtreme X tune and the only way I can get the transmission to shift halfway decent is to up the shift pressure +25%. Matt's SRL tunes all do the same but to a lesser extent. Crazy thing is that Vivian's tunes all shift amazingly well and almost immediately from the beginning. I did have her bump up the shift pressures and I also bump it up about 10% through the programmer but I've had the same done with the other tunes.

Anybody have any clue why this would be happening? Are there any issues with having the shift pressures bumped up 25% via the tuner?

Fluid and the two external filters have all been changed but I haven't touched the internal yet. Figured I'd just get a gogo solenoid if I have to and change internal filter with it then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how old are your tunes? Matt fixed the direct shift flare issues. Your solenoid might be weak as well. I've always had a flare with Erics tunes, even after a build trans and solenoid upgrade. Havent tried vivians since my truck was stock.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Fluid and the two external filters have all been changed but I haven't touched the internal yet.
unless you have an aftermarket external filter there is only one OEM external ..
a secondary can cause some restriction issues since the primary is a bypass anyway

the internal is a screen and cleanable,, I would delete all external or at least the non OEM and upgrade to the later model internal pan real filter and pan

now I do realize this is tune related ,, but they can bring out weak spots
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Have you considered Go-Go's direct drive solenoid?

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well Matt's tunes are from this July so they're not that old but it would be great if he's fixed them since then. The power delivery on his are great and linear.

I'm guessing someone's been in the transmission before since they put on a second external. Its in line on the transmission cooler line and I always assumed Ford put it in but maybe not. The filter number is MOTORCRAFT Part # FT185. No clue if it should be there but when I changed the old one it was dirty as hell.

When I get some down time I was planning on changing the internal filter and putting in a solenoid but I'm kinda surprised how one tune shifts spot on and the others don't come close. Karl I thought about grabbing Gogo's solenoid, but I'm sort of on the fence as to whether the Gogo is that much better than the factory. Any suggestions on the gogo direct solenoid vs a factory replacement?

Last edited by Wolf50; 12-05-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

I had a hell of a time getting shift points/converter lock right from IDP. Matt's SRL was greaat first load.

I bought a Go-Go solenoid, only to find that POS Edge programmer ate my transmission. My rebuilt unit had a shift kit and "some valve body work" with no 3-5 flare. I sold my solenoid to a friend who has yet to install it. Look around the forums, I've read good things about that part.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.