which heads should I use. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which heads should I use.

I am looking at hsving my heads done.(arp studs, oem gaskets) was wondering if I should get performsnce reman heads from somewhere or just have mine check and keep it stock? Does anyone have a price for about how much this should run me? Right now I.dont have any problems and I wanna make sure I won't when i put the programmer on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM

I'm looking at innovative tunes with these.heads so I just wanna be.safe.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM

As long as the heads are flat with no cracks, stick with what you have. I've done some research and it seems ARP's with OEM gaskets is the ticket as long as they are torqued and installed in sequence properly
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM

What do you think the odds are my heads are still flat? My oil cooler didn't blow on me and I already blocked off the egr cooler. I'm trying to.figure out how much it should cost.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 PM

You could always buy a set of good rebuilds and always sell them on here if you don't end up needing them.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unless you have plans for over 600hp, just get yours crack checked, hardened valve seats, decked and be done. Make sure they don't have to go more than .008" or the valves can hit the pistons and you are really in trouble.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Say mine are crack has anyone nought remans without problems or should I just get new ones?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
Say mine are crack has anyone nought remans without problems or should I just get new ones?
Take it one step at a time. Get your heads off and to the machine shop. Let the machine shop do what they do. If they tell you they're warped (and just cause your cooler didn't blow up doesn't mean the potential for problems don't exist), then give Clearwater Cylinder Head (Odessa) a call in Clearwater, Florida. I got a set of brand new castings, never been on a vehicle with all brand new components and an unlimited mileage warranty for less the $1,800....and they were shipped two day air to Alaska. I did that because I didn't have a shop here that can do the work. Take your heads to shop and let them tell you if they're good or bad before you go spending money you don't need to. They also have remans but they require a core, lesser warranty and the price difference isn't much so you're almost better off with the new one. Baby steps. lol
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM

How many miles do u have on them? Are you running any tunes?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

My heads have 88,000 miles on them. I'm running an xtreme street tune that's older than dirt. I'm doing all my replacements on the 20th of Dec but like I said, the only reason i forked over the cash for the heads up front was to minimize my down time because I don't have a machine shop readily available and with only one vehicle, it isn't feasible for me to play the "what if" game on an island in Kodiak, AK. If you're anywhere in the lower 48, Odessa can have those heads to you next day (if you order early enough and if they have them). Fortunately for me the castings were less than a week old so my stuff was here immediately and they're known to be very reputable around the .org. I highly recommend to let a shop look at your heads and get feedback from them before you dive into them, unless you don't have a shop around. Just my $0.02 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.