Who's running Banks Monster Exhaust? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who's running Banks Monster Exhaust?

Thinking about going with an aftermarket exhaust. I live in middle TN and my county does emissions tests on diesels so I assume I will need to keep the muffler and cat???? Been looking at the MBRP and Banks kits. Any thoughts or preferences on which kits is best. Don't want it to loud, but like the throaty sound. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

You don't need a muffler for emissions. All mufflers do is quiet the sound. Most states don't require a muffler per law on turbo equipped vehicles as the turbo is considered a muffling device.

My truck had a Monster 4" when I bought it. I removed the muffler and welded in a straight tube and gutted the cat.

No codes and still passed emissions in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Banks is about as quiet as it gets. barely louder than stock. I live in a fairly lax state and do get checked for having a muffler on my truck at inspection.

The banks is wwway higher quality than the MBRP too. All the cheapo exhaust all look like they are falling off due to cheap clamps or poor hanger setup or both.

I really like my silverline after fixing the tip sag issue with a simple 8mm bolt to keep the rear over axle bit from twisting. Its louder than banks, but quiet enough to tow with and not have a headache. Also very quiet even running 80 down the highway. At cruise it is never intrusive sound wise at all, almost silent. loaded or empty.

Jason
Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info! Any other recommendations for brands, etc? Pretty big price differences out in the market.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
Banks is about as quiet as it gets. barely louder than stock. I live in a fairly lax state and do get checked for having a muffler on my truck at inspection.

The banks is wwway higher quality than the MBRP too. All the cheapo exhaust all look like they are falling off due to cheap clamps or poor hanger setup or both.

I really like my silverline after fixing the tip sag issue with a simple 8mm bolt to keep the rear over axle bit from twisting. Its louder than banks, but quiet enough to tow with and not have a headache. Also very quiet even running 80 down the highway. At cruise it is never intrusive sound wise at all, almost silent. loaded or empty.

Jason
Like the OP, I'm thinking about a new exhaust system. I tow my fifth wheel camper a lot in the summer and would like the lower EGT benefits with out the noise. A friend was here a few days ago with his 6.0 running a 5 inch straight pipe. When he left and got on it a little bit my wife said, please don't put anything like that on your truck, and I have to agree. Pulling 15000 pounds I couldn't stand it for long.

Did you put on the 4" or 5" silverline, stainless or aluminized? I have been looking at the Banks exhaust but if the silverline is quiet, its quite a lot less money. But money isn't completely the deciding factor if there is a big difference in noise.

Very nice looking truck you have.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I bought my banks 4" with muffler used for like 130 bucks on craigslist, also came with Cai for that price, sold intake and broke even. That being said, I'd probably never pay what banks is asking New, but it is great quality, and sounds really good. Imo its perfect, I had it straight piped, dumped before axle, way too loud...obnoxious after about an hour. The banks muffler gives it a good tone (not that theres anything magical about the banks muffler over like a magnaflow or any other straight through design mufflers, metal pipe is metal pipe). I will say though that the cat is a way bigger 'muffler' than the muffler is, in that with the cat on, and banks muffler on, its not really any louder than stock, with the cat removed, and banks muffler on, its almost as loud as straight piped, but I think the muffler does a good job at making it just quet enough under light throttle, cruising so you're not constantly being blasted by the drone of the exhaust. In my mustang, sure loud obnoxious is fine, its boarder line race car anyway, in a $50k truck, i like there to at least be somewhat of an option of serenity. Pretty quiet until you nail it, then like I said is just about as loud as straight piped without the cat. We dont do emissions testing here though.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run banks 4 in duals, had the monster muffler on the truck when I bought it and about 2 weeks ago I straight piped it...Nice and quiet and idle and up to 2000 RPM then you can get a good crack out of it...And also when your walking up to your truck from the rear it sounds like a faint airplane taking off...

On the otehr hand my buddy did a 4 in straight MBRP and it sounds like dog poo all you hear is turbo whistle even at idle

I recommend the Banks...But mine is set up for my state where I have no emission tests so
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the Banks with no cat and a Powermax turbo.
It sounds awesome and it is quite till I get on her.
My truck is a 12,000lbs work truck that also tows so I did not want anything to loud.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear some good comments about the Banks Monster exhaust. I just ordered a turbo-back version for my 06 last night. I too wanted something quiet - for those early morning starts, traveling with the wife, and hauling the camper. Mainly want it for lower EGTs, and perhaps to pickup a little power and fuel economy. I also live in a state that thinks diesels need to be smogged, so the CAT needed to stay.....

I hope it fits the bill
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With the cat, you'll probably just be able to hear an audible exhaust note with the banks muffler. Shouldn't be intrusive at all. I wouldnt even describe my banks setup without a cat intrusive at all, unroll youre over like 40-60% throttle. We're supposed to have the cat on for regular state inspections, but I got lucky last year and they didn't notice, or care. Last year I had to swap my cat in to get it inspected, then right back off again, I was reminded of how much the cat quiets it down. It's quick and easy to swap the cat in and out, I'd recommend trying it with and without, even if once a year you had to pop the cat in there for a smog test/inspection or whatever. Just my thoughts, good luck. You won't be disappointed with the quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.