Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

just bought my first 6.0 need some help

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Lilpooh 
#1 ·
after being a gm man for yrs i broke down and bought a 2006 f350 :icon_ford: strait cab long bed 4x4 work truck package. i bought it with 100k miles on it. the previous owner put 8 new injectors in it, new turbo, and a new high pressure oil pump. i am very familar with the 6.0 but i am not sure if this truck still has the egr cooler on it. how can i tell? the other thing is what should i do first priority wise? i have a buddy with a 6.0 and this is what he told me todo please tell me if this is correct or not. 1= highest priority
1.egr delete
2. coolant flush then switch to cat silicant free extended life coolant
3. custom sct tuning
4. 4 inch exhaust
5. coolant filter
6. head studs

how can i tell if the oil cooler is any good?

thanks in advance for the help/

#2 ·
Read the Stickys in the general section.....check deltas to see if you need an oil cooler. That process should be in a sticky, if not search it.

#8 ·
A monitor solution is first.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

Check your ECT/EOT delta, FICMv, Fuel psi for initial health and direction that you may have to go with issues being fixed.

Then if you need to dig into the motor to fix any issue you find, replace any of the OEM parts that could cause issues down the road like STC fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes, fuel psi spring.

Here is some info about STC fittings and other OEM upgraded parts.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
The first pic below you see a "yellow X", that is what a aftermarket EGR delete looks like. But there are DIY welded EGR coolers also. The second pic is what the ARP head stud look like when compared to the OEM head bolts, I'm holding the OEM bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
Even though the delta's are good I would still get the monitor. I'm on the hunt for a new Excursion PSD and had I not already had an Insight CS I would've made a bad decision and bought an otherwise great Excursion - albeit with a FICM running @ 44.5-45V. Would hate to see all 8 of those new injectors fail!!

I bought mine @ Jegs: Edge Products 83730 Edge Products Evolution CS and CTS. None of the local Edge dealers had any in stock.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I have checked the ect/eot they appear to be good the truck has an "updated egr cooler" but I have ordered a river city diesel egr delete to take care of that. Now for the one problem with this truck the #8 glow plug is bad. Do you all think I should replace just that one or go ahead and replace them all ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.