Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

straight pipe ??

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
i have a bone stock '04 f350 6.0 and was wondering if i remove that cat and muffler would that help performance and get better mileage?
does it screw sensors up? make the turbo loud?
totally new to this diesel thing:ORG welcome: any help would be appreciated.
also if it makes the turbo loud would love to piss off the neighbors:D.

#3 ·
You don't gain much in hp/tq #'s with exhaust on these trucks. You will see a drop in egt though.

#4 ·
You'll love the sound if you're wanting to hear the turbo. It'll whistle nicely. Stock tubing with no cat or muffler has a nice growl under throttle. Won't mess up a thing!

#5 ·
There are no sensors (O2) like in a gas vehicle. like said before, you will hear a little more turbo, but more exhaust note under heavy foot.

#6 ·
im running stock downpipe, 4 inch straight exhaust and 5 inch tip....what a glorious sound...

#7 ·
I agree with everyone on the sound, I am 4" from the turbo all the way straight piped with a long 6" tip and I love the sound of it especially under normal driving inputs, the turbo whines at a modest high pitch. When you throttle away from a stop it does have a blowing sound to it and with a heavy pedal it definetly has a powerful growl.
As far as performance goes: when going with a larger pipe at the turbo the very bottom end does suffer a bit until turbo spools up and milage or hp gains are neither here or there but yes on lower exhaust temps and that is always-always a good thing for everything from exhaust valves and guides to the manifolds and the turbo so yes I feel it's a well worth it investment of time and money.
Mark..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.