Upgraded my turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgraded my turbo

So my stock turbo went out on me and after looking around I went with the upgraded stock turbo (Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA).

I have a few things done to my truck they are just bolt on items which consist of air filter kit, CFM large mouth intake with aluminum tube, 4" tubro back straight piped, SCT TSX custom tunes from Innovative, and my FICM is tuned by Innovative as well. I also got custom tunes for the new turbo since they told me I would need them (Innovative).

After the install and new tunes loaded I was excited to test things out because from what I read it was a better turbo and would perform better.

My question is should I notice a difference in power? To me it seems the same or maybe a little less on the power side. Also the custom tunes don't seem to have as much of a gain. I even got custom tunes from MPT which were horrible tunes I tried to explain the problem with their tunes but they keep telling me to just re-load them to the tuner, which I told them that didn't work either... so I gave up with them and went back to the Innovative tunes.

Last edited by 06F2506.0L; 11-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F2506.0L View Post
So my stock turbo went out on me and after looking around I went with the upgraded stock turbo (Garrett PowerMax GT3788VA).

I have a few things done to my truck they are just bolt on items which consist of air filter kit, CFM large mouth intake with aluminum tube, 4" tubro back straight piped, SCT TSX custom tunes from Innovative, and my FICM is tuned by Innovative as well. I also got custom tunes for the new turbo since they told me I would need them (Innovative).

After the install and new tunes loaded I was excited to test things out because from what I read it was a better turbo and would perform better.

My question is should I notice a difference in power? To me it seems the same or maybe a little less on the power side. Also the custom tunes don't seem to have as much of a gain. I even got custom tunes from MPT which were horrible tunes I tried to explain the problem with their tunes but they keep telling me to just re-load them to the tuner, which I told them that didn't work either... so I gave up with them and went back to the Innovative tunes.
Hit up matt@ gearhead and tell him you want what Oliver got. My tunes are on the money and Matt has the tuning locked down on the power max. No lag and instant power
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Making ported intakes

Oh and get rid of that larger uppipe and elbow. Try to sell it and use a oem metal pipe with a smaller elbow! That's causing most of your lag with that bigger pipe
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The CFM large mouth kit IS NOT what is causing his lag. His lag is being caused by the fact that he has a Pmax on his truck and the tuning isn't right for it because 05-07 trucks (without the right tuning) hate the Pmax and everything he is mentioning is what has been observed before. I ran a CFM large mouth kit on my truck (2006 6.0) with stock tuning and I noticed less lag so I don't buy into the fact that that is his problem.

That is awesome if Matt can get him dialed in as that is what he should do but the reason for his issues is because the VGT duty cycle table in the tuning isn't optimized for the 10 bladed turbine wheel.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So Matt at gearhead would have better tunes for the powermax?

I've been using Eric's tunes for a few years and never had problems. Innovative has always been helpful and I got my powermax from them. When I purchased it they told me they were sending me new tunes because I had to have them so I would figure their tunes were good.

I just don't want to keep buying tunes and wish I lived near someone that I could take the truck to for custom tunes.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I had Matt's tunes with my PowerMax and it will fix the lag problem you are experiencing. Vivian at QuickTricks also wrote me some tunes with my PowerMax and both were excellent. I preferred Matt's for towing and Vivian's for daily driving (based on transmission shifting). Best of luck in your decision.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
The CFM large mouth kit IS NOT what is causing his lag. His lag is being caused by the fact that he has a Pmax on his truck and the tuning isn't right for it because 05-07 trucks (without the right tuning) hate the Pmax and everything he is mentioning is what has been observed before. I ran a CFM large mouth kit on my truck (2006 6.0) with stock tuning and I noticed less lag so I don't buy into the fact that that is his problem.

That is awesome if Matt can get him dialed in as that is what he should do but the reason for his issues is because the VGT duty cycle table in the tuning isn't optimized for the 10 bladed turbine wheel.
Not sure if I understood him correctly but, lets say my banks intake elbow with a larger uppipe to the mouth is the same deal the OP is talking about , yes it does create lag when your charger is charging a certain pipe size going into the IC then out to a larger size. Adrian told me about this and I tried it and it made one huge assssss difference. Way less. Boggg. So to the OP of you have a larger uppipe put the stock back on and see if you can tell a huge difference like I did
Old 11-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah that is the other thing I forgot to mention is that any custom tow tune is horrible. I have been using the canned tow 65hp tune and it seems to do the best. I pull a 30' toy hauler about twice a month to the races and my mpg's are also worse. Last weekend I got 8.7mpg. The camper full loaded is around 8k lbs.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAWG714 View Post
Not sure if I understood him correctly but, lets say my banks intake elbow with a larger uppipe to the mouth is the same deal the OP is talking about , yes it does create lag when your charger is charging a certain pipe size going into the IC then out to a larger size. Adrian told me about this and I tried it and it made one huge assssss difference. Way less. Boggg. So to the OP of you have a larger uppipe put the stock back on and see if you can tell a huge difference like I did
I'm not sure if the tube is large if it is its not by much. I mainly did that upgrade because my truck had the plastic tube on it. Just figured the lrg mouth would be better from what I read.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F2506.0L View Post
I'm not sure if the tube is large if it is its not by much. I mainly did that upgrade because my truck had the plastic tube on it. Just figured the lrg mouth would be better from what I read.
I put mine back to stock and it made a huge difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.