Highway fuel economy running looney - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Highway fuel economy running looney

Has anyone noticed DJ's looney doesn't get nearly as good fuel economy as street or economy at higher speeds? It's not really a big deal, but I've read about everyone getting the best economy on the hot tunes, so I thought I'd try it for a couple days. I've been getting in the 18s on the highway running street and economy. The best I can do looney is 15.1 at 75 MPH. Last night I ran looney on the way over on a 30 miles trip. I ran street on the way back to compare. I got 15 running looney. I got almost 19 on the way back running street.

Is this normal on looney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM

I've noticed that the street file does a little better than the Looney on long highway runs. I'd have to do a really long highway run with both (Back to back) to be able to hand-calculate the difference. Oddly, the best file I've used for fuel economy is the Xtreme race by Innovative (I think it has more to do with TCC management than anything else).
I'm seeing (So far...mixed driving)
-Looney 16.2-16.4
-street 16.3-16.6
-xtreme street 16.4-16.5
-xtreme race 16.7-17.0

This is just the mileage ranges I'm seeing... not much difference to be honest. Stock, I was getting about 15.5 (Give or take a little)
Old 10-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLWiltman View Post
I've noticed that the street file does a little better than the Looney on long highway runs. I'd have to do a really long highway run with both (Back to back) to be able to hand-calculate the difference. Oddly, the best file I've used for fuel economy is the Xtreme race by Innovative (I think it has more to do with TCC management than anything else).
I'm seeing (So far...mixed driving)
-Looney 16.2-16.4
-street 16.3-16.6
-xtreme street 16.4-16.5
-xtreme race 16.7-17.0

This is just the mileage ranges I'm seeing... not much difference to be honest. Stock, I was getting about 15.5 (Give or take a little)
VERY interresting. I'm trying Eric's Xtreme Street right now hoping for some better economy but it's so damn sick on the low end I can't help but racing everyone around me. I can hardly give it any pedal without breaking the tires loose. Higher end seems alright but any gains I'm seeing I'm tossing right back out the window by my bad driving habits.
So I guess without running an Economy tune from one of the big tuners seeing 20 just isn't going to happen?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i have no idea on what i am getting. i think cause of the lift, and big tires my mileage is gonna be crap anyway......
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This thread really interests me because I want the best economy on the hwy possible. Around town is out the window because I won't be able to keep my foot out of it unless it's a lame tune
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Gun Nut

Yeah I want to see everyones take on this thread too. I spend a lot of time on the road this time of year and I want the best economy I can get but I refuse to run stock. I've been hesitant to try one of the custom tuners Economy tunes because I was afraid it wouldn't have the get up go over stock that I want when I need it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

I have been running stock and I just got an xcal 2. I have been debating on which tunes to get and from who in order to get the best mileage vs power. I have been getting pretty crappy mileage around town (12.5 - 13.5) and highway I have been getting about 18. I would like to get around 16 - 18 in the city with a good bit of power to "race" people if needed but I would also like to at least get the same mileage I have been getting on the highway. Suggestions??
Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Banned

Don't let your truck idle! Every hour of idle time equals at least a 1 mpg drop in fuel economy. If it takes you two weeks to burn a tank of fuel and you let the truck warm up for an extra 5 minutes every day, that adds up to your one hour of idling per tank. The only way to achieve maximum fuel economy is to make sure that when the fuel is burning the wheels are turning!

Different tunes are going to show different results for each individual and their driving habits. I can get better mpg from my Xtreme Street tune, but on average I get the same as stock because of the tendency to "use" the extra power. The aggressive tow tune seems to be about the best for my stop and go daily driving style. It lessens the urge to shred the tires and burn extra fuel.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:23 AM
Gun Nut

I read where people say they're getting 20 all the time. I'm curious as to what they're running on.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive noticed the street files get better mpg also...i think its because the race file doesnt take as much slowing down and such running down the road and it speeds up faster than normal using fuel it doesnt necessarily have to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.