EGT's rise faster on stock? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT's rise faster on stock?

Well after running my truck on the Superchips for over a month now with no problems and lots of grins (chirping the tires through 2 gears and smoke from lights and fun stuff like that) I came to notice something today when I put the truck back to Stock to take it to the dealer for a rear pinion seal: on the stock setting, when you give it throttle during normal driving, the EGT's climb faster on the pyro than when it's on the Econo or Performance settings. Weird? Is it because of the different timing settings the tuner programs into the pcm? I was like 'huh?' when I noticed it. Observing EGT's vs. rpm, the pyro read 50-100 degrees higher at any given moment and rose faster on the Stock setting. However, on full throttle runs I'd hit a max EGT of maybe 1100-1150 on Stock...tuned I'd hit 1200-1300 max. I think I get it, but can anyone chime in with a better breakdown. Also, the truck seems to idle quieter and smoother on stock setting. All in all, I guess I just noticed the difference between stock and tuned a whole lot better going from being tuned for a month to stock vs. going from stock to tuned the first time around. Can't wait to get the SCT and a 3.5" downpipe now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 06:49 PM

I can't say on the EGTs because I still haven't made my mind up whether I'm going with analog or electronic gauges, but I definitely have noticed how much quieter the truck is idling in stock tuning. There isn't nearly as much of the marbles in a can type rattle either. I really wish the tuners could figure out how to quiet down the idle.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

you are correct, the idling is quieter on stock settings, and the reason for this is also part of the reason that you are seeing a higher egt reading stock. ready ?

the modded program increases the ICP pressure (the main reason you have the louder idle), and it also advances timing. (causes a louder ignition also)
remember, that with the programming on stock, the timing is more retarded. therefore, the combustion process is occuring later. now you've got the exhaust valves opening sooner in relation to the combustion event. follow me so far ?? you now have the combustion even occuring and the explosion is still happening and expanding and creating more heat even as it goes past the valves, and out the head and into the exhaust manifold (where your pyro probe is)

does this make sense, or am i totally smoking crack ?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 AM

I believe you are right Lv. That's kinda what I started thinking after I asked the question. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Can anyone help me. I need to re-route my crankcase vent or pcv valve to a remote can, which I already have. I have not yet looked for the valve, but would love to see if anyone knows exactly where it is before I start looking. The reason for this is that when I changed my stock intercooler to the Banks technicooler, I noticed oil in the boost tubes. I was told from a very reputable person, my brother, that this is due to the crankcase being vented back to the intake manifold and that the oil is obviously bad for the entire intake system, particularly the boost tobes and intercooler. After all, who wants oil coating their intercooler. ANyway, I have the remote can to vent it to the can, which collects the oil and vents the gases back to the manifold. Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located (or PVC)??? Thanks. 2006 Ford 6.0 Diesel. Michael.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbreaux View Post
Can anyone help me. I need to re-route my crankcase vent or pcv valve to a remote can, which I already have. I have not yet looked for the valve, but would love to see if anyone knows exactly where it is before I start looking. The reason for this is that when I changed my stock intercooler to the Banks technicooler, I noticed oil in the boost tubes. I was told from a very reputable person, my brother, that this is due to the crankcase being vented back to the intake manifold and that the oil is obviously bad for the entire intake system, particularly the boost tobes and intercooler. After all, who wants oil coating their intercooler. ANyway, I have the remote can to vent it to the can, which collects the oil and vents the gases back to the manifold. Does anyone know where the PCV valve is located (or PVC)??? Thanks. 2006 Ford 6.0 Diesel. Michael.
you're asking about the ccv mod. try starting a new thread and you'll get plenty of info. I was gonna do it, but Marc said it wasn't really necessary unless I was dealing with my cac tube blowing off. Which it hasn't. good luck man.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 AM
Banned

i believe the tech file has the entire write up on how to do this, also the egr valve can cause icky intake manifold.
but the ccv reroute should be done if you are changing stuff out, might as well keep it nice looking !
Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM

I did have an icky intake manifold when I removed the intake elbow while changing my intercooler and boost tubes. The intake was black and sticky. I do not like that. Thanks for the cite and info. Michael.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

i will be doing my CCV mod tomorrow now that i finally got my motor back in today. i cleaned my intake manifold out with a toilet brush and simple green and degreased the piss out of it. my turbo seals were also bad there was oil everywhere in my boost tubes and i/c.
gross, but not anymore ! !
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM

CCV and oil in intercooler tubes

I am nt an expert, but I have alot of past experience with gas motors and I ask alot of questions from people I believe know more than me. I do not believe your turbo seals caused the oil in your intercooler tubes. I have a 2006 F350 6.0 and had the same problem when I changed my intercooler and tubes to a Banks set up. I did not want it to happen to the new setup so I re-routed my pcv to a remote can on the front bumper bracket in front of my driver front tire. I also started investigating the EGR valve and discovered that the 6.0 has a poor EGR design. My manifold was very gunked up also and the EGR was severely gunked up and not working properly. I only have 44,000 miles. I called my FOrd dealer and the EGR is still under the 100,000 engine warranty. I have made so many mods, I could not hide them, so I told him what I had done and he said no problem, he would clean the EGR and manifold using the BG cleaning system for $100 warranty deductible. After the EGR is cleaned, I will order the EGR delete turbo up pipe and eliminate it altogether. Just my 2 cents. Michael.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.