Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions

Ok guys I'm haveing a weird issue. First accelerating while turning I'm getting horrible rear axle chatter. On occasion accelerating heavy from a stop and not turning I get a bad chatter. Basically i'm having a difficult time getting my limited slip to unlock, and when it does i'm getting these noises. YES i've changed oil and have added over 8OZ of motorcraft friction modifier alittle at a time. Driveshaft u-joint's I did this month from a high speed vibrations which is gone now. Tonight it snowed and it was alot worse so I pulled my cover off againnn... The only thing i'm finding out of the ordinary is a gap in between my last few clutch packs shown in the pics. Is this normal? Granted my diff is bad I need a parts list and the best place to buy a detroit trutrac.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions-20121112_182554.jpg   Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions-20121112_182633.jpg   Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions-20121112_182526.jpg   Bad limited slip? Pics inside, also trutrac questions-20121112_182655.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro_03 View Post
Ok guys I'm haveing a weird issue. First accelerating while turning I'm getting horrible rear axle chatter. On occasion accelerating heavy from a stop and not turning I get a bad chatter. Basically i'm having a difficult time getting my limited slip to unlock, and when it does i'm getting these noises. YES i've changed oil and have added over 8OZ of motorcraft friction modifier alittle at a time. Driveshaft u-joint's I did this month from a high speed vibrations which is gone now. Tonight it snowed and it was alot worse so I pulled my cover off againnn... The only thing i'm finding out of the ordinary is a gap in between my last few clutch packs shown in the pics. Is this normal? Granted my diff is bad I need a parts list and the best place to buy a detroit trutrac.
yep needs a rebuild! also get friction modifier 2 bottles. youll be good to go. easy to do!!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

I have a POS True Trac in my rig. I'd rather go through that Trac Lock than use another POS True Trac. Left turn, nail it, locks. Right turn, nail it 1 tire fire. 2 foot it, 2 stripes then right side only.

Yeah, I f'in HATE that $600 POS True Trac in my truck.

Oh yeah, you can buy fluid with friction modifier mixed in.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I have a POS True Trac in my rig. I'd rather go through that Trac Lock than use another POS True Trac. Left turn, nail it, locks. Right turn, nail it 1 tire fire. 2 foot it, 2 stripes then right side only.

Well your prabably the first person I've come across on here not liking the trutrac. Either way i'm not rebuilding my stocker because I know i'll be doing it again later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGERNAUT View Post
yep needs a rebuild! also get friction modifier 2 bottles. youll be good to go. easy to do!!
Thanks for the Input man.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Emergency Services

how can you tell if u have a limited slip in your truck
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Apply brakes, mash throttle, release brakes, and see how many tire marks you have. That's the easiest, I think and don't quote me but all the superduties came with ls, but they suck. I replaced mine with a detriot locker. Works much better for me as my truck stays on the road more than it does off.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Love my Trutrac, money well spent when i rebuilt the rear diff. I dont hot rod my truck on the road, but it does have a lot of off road farm experience and i rarely have to get out and lock in the hubs for 4x4, i get around in 2wd pretty good
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post

I know we've talked about this before, and I am pretty happy with my Tru-Trac. I can't say that I have ever experienced what you are describing but that is just my personal experience.
Chad, I wouldn't rebuilt the stocker if I was you. I don't think they handle additional power all that well, especially if you want to upgrade turbos or injectors later. I know you can buy a Tru-Trac on line at 4wheelparts.com and a bunch of other places. If you want to buy from and actual person, Performance Diesel in Green Bay is a detroit distributor. They could help you out with a parts list and some tips on the install.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestingInternationally View Post
there will be a tag on the axle one with the gear ratio and the other with fluid try

look for "LS"
Old 11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro_03 View Post
Well your prabably the first person I've come across on here not liking the trutrac. Either way i'm not rebuilding my stocker because I know i'll be doing it again later on.
Maybe I got the only bad Truetrac ever made, IDK. It's MORE than annoying to me considering the amount of money that I paid for the thing. I should have ponied up the extra $100 for a Detroit Locker. Trust me, while I paid a shop to install it, I verified it was there when I put on my aluminum diff cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestingInternationally View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
there will be a tag on the axle one with the gear ratio and the other with fluid try look for "LS"
There should be an L in the gear ratio number. ie "3L73". If it simply states 3 73, it's a one leg. Also, as previously stated, there should also be a second tag for the use of limited slip lube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.