Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CCV Reroute: lesson learned (if you have white smoke, I know why)

31K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  colonel angus 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclosure: Doing this mod is something I did to my truck. I know this worked for my 2005, not sure if there are variations from year to year. I do not guarantee your truck will not spontaneously explode while driving it down the road after doing this mod :)

Parts needed about $50:

DO NOT buy the breather that is picture below (will cause massive white smoke out the tail pipe from pressuring the crankcase)
3 hose clamps
1 machined aluminum plug for intake hole ("lubbock guy" is a member on here that machines them)
new O-ring for CCV reservoir on valve cover (found mine at autoparts store in variety O-ring kit)
12 feet of 1" inside diameter clear hose from hardware store

Well I decided to the do the CCV reroute, which I highly recommend. I had an oil leak that dripped down from the rear of the passenger side valve cover that I couldn't find which turned out to be a bad CCV reservoir O-ring where the 90 degree fitting on the valve cover plugs in. There was oil everywhere, but I couldn't see it without the intake off. BTW, DO NOT install a breather on the end of the hose as I did initially (see pics with breather below, and DO NOT do that :). It causes too much pressure in the crankcase which in turn makes your truck blow tons of white smoke out the tail pipe! The last pic is how I have it now: I installed the OEM 90 degree fitting (that was on the underside of the intake when I removed the stock routed CCV initially) on the end of the 1 inch tubing.

Steps to follow:

1)Remove the 2 sections of intake tubing closest to the turbo
-While removing the the section closest to the turbo, be careful not to damage the 2 90 degree fittings, you will use them again (1 that plugs into the underside of the intake section and the other 1 that plugs into the valve cover)

2)Remove both 90 degree fittings
-It seems the fitting on the valve cover will come off after rotating 90 degrees from the position it is mounted from the factory, careful not to lose the O-ring in the reservoir (mine was bad and had to be replaced, which i did from a auto-parts store variety O-ring kit)

3)Clean out intake sections and install the machined aluminum plug into the intake where the 90 degree fitting was (mine would not fit initially until i filed out the intake a hair) and install a hose clamp around the rubber piece holding the plug.

4)Reinstall the 1 90 degree fitting onto reservoir located on the valve cover with new or reused O-ring and face the opening toward the driver's side fender.

5) Route 12' of tubing from the reservoir fitting (but don't put on the end of fitting yet, just place it near it) across and underneath the brake fluid reservoir and down to the frame. Continue routing over the fuel lines and over the fuel/water separator housing. I ended mine with a dip in the tubing to see if oil will collect and them up towards the front of the fuel tank. This is all inside or around the driver's side frame rail. You will probably have to cut some excess tubing to route this tubing like i did.

6) Now install end of tubing and tighten hose clamp over the 90 degree fitting that comes out of the reservoir (opening facing driver's side fender). Make sure that the tubing is not putting pressure on that fitting to where the fitting can pop off or cause a leak. Also, when tightening the hose clamp over the hose on the fitting, make sure the hex head that tightens the clamp faces straight up and is oriented on the back side of the tubing so it will not rub on the stock intake tubing when reinstalled.

7) Make sure hose is routed without any kinks and interference with hot or moving parts.

8) Zip tie hose in place in various locations (not to moving or hot parts) starting from the fitting going down the frame (to ensure no pressure is placed on that fitting)

9) Route the end of the tubing in front of the fuel tank and cut according to fit.

10) Install the 90 degree fitting that was initially in the intake onto the end of the hose facing down and secure with hose clamp.

11) Reinstall both sections of intake tubing to the turbo and filter.

12) Start truck and ensure nothing is interfering with the new setup. DONE!

Here are some pics:

DON'T PUT THE BREATHER ON WHICH IS PICTURED BELOW!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
very nice set up. Mine is the EXACT same except I have the venturi on the end of mine where you have a breather

#3 ·
DO NOT put the breather on, lol. I disclosed that in my write up in case anyone else had that idea. That was my initial setup which caused massive white smoke out the tail pipe from pressuring the Crankcase.

#4 ·
Oops I missed that. My bad

#5 ·
BTW, i stole your idea of using the Home Depot 1 inch hose :D

#7 ·
Looks exactly like my setup except I didn't put nothing on the end of the hose..

#8 ·
same on my o3 also but I put a 2in pvc pipe with caps and filter material inside and a drain on it

#9 ·
Do not loop your hose up like that on the end or anywhere along the run back. You must keep it on a down angle all the way. A loop with a low section like you have at the end will eventually fill with oil and block the hose off. Then you know what happens.

#10 ·
White smoke all the time or just on start-up?

A little clarity please.

D

#13 ·
White smoke like a choo choo train all the time, idle and running
I'm assuming runaway ?:dunno:
If you have a low section in the hose the hose will fill with oil and you no longer have a ccv system. Pressure builds in the crankcase and you start blowing main seals, spewing oil, and they're no fun to fix. You have to make sure that the hose does a continuous down hill course or at least level along the frame rail. Anywhere in the run where oil can collect will come back to haunt you in a serious way.

#11 ·
White smoke like a choo choo train all the time, idle and running

#14 ·
Mitch is right, I've seen motors we used to run on our old dyno that navy diesel techs assembled where they forgot to leave a breather hole open, or forgot to have any ccv at all, we saw one that turned the front cranks seal inside out. Slobbered oil everywhere. I ran mine into the exhaust, ill post up some pics soon.

#15 ·
That's where I'm heading... Can't wait to see your pics.

#17 ·
I have to do something else too. Mine has too much smoke and a gawd awful smell to it even run all the way back to the gas tank.

Thinking i'll run a trap filter and route back up to the intake.

d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.