Atlas 40 or Atlas 80??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Atlas 40 or Atlas 80???

I got my PHP FICM tuner last week and I loaded the Atlas 80 on the truck right away. It is awesome and the truck seems to have a lot of power and runs great. I am running Matts SRL+ and that is also an awesome tune. I was just wondering what is better for mpg with the SRL+. Is the Atlas 40 and SRL+ or the Atlas 80 and SRL+ better with fuel mileage? I havent tried the Atlas 40 yet as I wanted to run the truck a little while with the Atlas 80 and check it out. Let me know what combinations of SCT tune and Atlas tune you guys find that gets the best mpg. Thanks.

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As far as I know the atlas 40 and a tune is the best way to go. The atlas 80 and a tune can get te EGT's quite hot
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Was the PHP tuner worth it as far as power goes? I have the SRL+ too and was wondering if it was worth buying the PHP tuner? Im after more power and improved mileage.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:14 AM

Not trying to jack this from you but I'm interested in doing this myself, my only question is since my truck hasn't been studded yet is it safe to be tuning the FICM without risk of blowing head gaskets
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
A forty or an 80 is no bigger risk than running tuned. Dave a mod on here had 135K on his truck tuned before his gaskets went. Mine went with less than 50K stock.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 AM

I only run the 40 and I got 147k on the original gaskets with no problems yet. I do see a little higher EGT's with the 40.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 AM

So it all hit or miss when they give. Thanks guys. I just didnt wanna make it more prone to blowing when I don't have the money to repair it. Ill prolly take my chance and take the plunge getting a ficm tune for her. So what I'm seeing from you guys is the 40 is the way to go. Does an 80 just make higher EGTs or is there any real other downfall to it?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Iím not an expert but with the Atlas 80 you temps will rise. By how much I dont know. I think you should have a bigger exhaust with the 80 if you will be doing any kind of pulling. I have the Atlas 40 with the stock exhaust with no cat or muff and it raised in temps about 50* to 75*.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

The one thing to keep in mind with the FICM tuning is that we are not advancing the SOI at all... We simply extending the PW. This provide more low-mid RPM torque without raising Cylinder Pressures. In that respect, the only real downside is EGTs. There isn't any more stress on the head gaskets than running stock.

Most of our customers run the Atlas 40. It seems to be a good all-around program for daily driving, economy, and play. The Atlas 80 is good for trucks that see very little pulling. The Hercules is pretty much only for playing around, although that's what I run in my truck every day.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I am running Atlas 40 with Tony Wildman's Extreme tune and it runs great, doesn't get too hot, noticeably more mid range power and better response.

+1 for Atlas 40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.