Big Temp difference - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big Temp difference

I installed the Edge CTS on my '03 F-350 last night after cleaning the sticking turbo. Drove it today to work and noticed something I think is off. The outside temp today was 46, I was running around 65MPH for about 25min. The ECT stayed around 188 and the EOT stayed around 215, is it crazy or what? I really do not want to sink a lot of cash in it but I need it reliable and safe. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea you're gonna need an oil cooler bro. Does your truck already have head studs and/or EGR delete?? If not, I would highly suggest doing all three if you can. Where abouts are you located?? Best of luck man.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know

I bought the truck in 2005 from a dealer and as far as I know, it is stock. I am near St. Louis, MO..Thanks for the info, I figured the worst.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea it's best to know/plan for the worst. You could replace just the oil cooler and do an EGR delete as well but I think if you're tore down that far, might as well just do the studs too. Do you do your own work or do you take it somewhere??
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is a lot more work and expense going into the head studs and gaskets. At that point you might as well send the heads out for guides, hardened exhaust seats, magnafluxing, pressure testing and decking as well. "Might as wells" will kill a budget in a hurry. Not that they're necessarily a bad idea.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
"Might as wells" will kill a budget in a hurry.
Understatement of the century right there... But if your going to do it, do it right

Fwiw my gaskets let go less than 500 miles after I changed my oil cooler and deleted my egr. If I had another 6oh, I'd do everything at one time and knock it all out. However, some people just change coolers and never have a problem, I don't have that kind of luck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

Last edited by hollowpoint468; 11-06-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does the EOT jump around a bit or is it pretty consistant? Just trying to eliminate a tempature sensor first. My ECT would be at 195ish one second then jump down to 170 for a bit then jump back up to 190 I had a bad sensor in which I replaced.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

i had a 16 degree delta between eot and ect i did a flush and a new t-stat and now the delta is 12 . its still high but it buys me some time
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their assistance. I performed a flush when I had the turbo off and replaced the thermostat, I did not perform a reverse flush though. The temps move smoothly. I only have 78000 miles on the truck, what if I change to Oil and EGR coolers, will the effect the chances of blowing head gaskets. I would really like to find a dependable tech near St. Louis, MO for a decent price. I talked to one owner and he had his6.0 bullet proofed for around 3,000.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.